Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hunting in rain

Old 10-06-2005, 01:46 PM

Default hunting in rain

well guys we all see its suposed to rain sat.... so do you hunt still or stay in.. is it worth going out there in the rain... do the deer still move around like they do when its snow
Old 10-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hunting in rain

Here in SE Pa. it's going to rain tomarrow and Saturday and I'll be hunting! Tomarrow is supposed to be off and on. I like those conditions.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard driving rain is not all that good but an off and on drizzle or "misting" is exceptional IMO. The deer really move around in my observations. Tracking a hit can be impossible so you better make perfect aim. I think deer are conditioned to think that humans don't come out in rain and therefor feel safer.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

You hit the nail on the head livbucks, they will lay up with heavy constant rain but otherwise we're good to go. I love it!!
Old 10-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nope ,Heck I quit hunting anyway.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Hard driving rain is not all that good but an off and on drizzle or "misting" is exceptional IMO. The deer really move around in my observations. Tracking a hit can be impossible so you better make perfect aim. I think deer are conditioned to think that humans don't come out in rain and therefor feel safer.
DITTO!!!
Old 10-07-2005, 04:44 AM
Typical Buck

Last year at camp it startedpouring down rain just after sunrise. Some of the guys went home and some of us stayed in the woods. One of the guys got a huge 8 points with a muzzle loader while it was raining. I've never been into huntingwhen it's raining,but, this guy convinced me thatyou've got to be out there to get one....good or bad.You never know when thatopportunity will be yours!
Old 10-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt I will be out this evening as I think that is when the heaviest rain is supposed to occur but I am probably going to take the ground blind out tomorrow regardless as I cannot imagine a Saturday in October without me in the woods.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:44 AM

I will be out saturday morning. I dont care if its raining sideways.. I shot my biggest buck on a morning when we got like 3" of rain. It was so bad at times you couldnt see 10 yards in front of you.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

To put it in perspective, deer live outdoors year round.A little rain would not deter them from their normal patterns. What they are is a walking barometer. With the heavy rains coming, I'm sure they will be feeding.I'd make sure I'd behunting the hours prior to a heavy wash.

If it's a light rain, stick with the ground stalking. With the wet leaves, it's very easy to sneak up on them.

Quick Reply: hunting in rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.