Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hunting in rain

Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hunting in rain

If it is downpouring, I usually head for the thickest stand of pines I can find a hunt through them. Very easy to sneak up on deer with wind and rain. Have killed a few doing this, and you will usually have the woods to yourself.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:04 AM

Every year I swear I'm NEVER going to hunt in the rain again. I did it again today. It was wet but not raining at 5am so I went out only to return at 11am soaking a#$ wet, cussing myself out for doing it AGAIN. The deer were moving this morning so it wasn't a total "washout"
Old 10-07-2005, 11:07 AM

I got soaked as well but saw 10 deer so it was worth it
Old 10-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

I'd invest in some good rain gear. I picked some up at Dick's a few years ago and they keep me very dry and warm.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I personally don't mind hunting in a steady rain, but I find it much easier to tolerate when I'm already outand it starts, versus getting out of the truck and gearing up to go when it's already pouring. I'm a little leary of climbing rain slickened trees in my climber too!

Also, to be totally honest, already having one in the freezer will definitely impact mydecision when the alarm goesoff in the morning! Might make it a little easier to sleep in and hope things look better in the p.m.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good "water proof" not water resistent camo gear is a must! Also make sure it's quiet. If you can't stay dry you won't stay too long.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be out tomorrow AM as well. Good luck guys.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Light rain(like snow)seems to be key to deer movement. Heavy rain pushes deer to cover - high ground - woods. Deer in heavy rain will move to cover/shelter like humans(think about it).Heavy wind,frigid temps has same effect.Heavy push with tide water will move deer same way.

Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im all about hunting in rain, seems to knock down some scent. They seem to still move and stalking is much easier.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, I'll be honest. A light rain or drizzle and I am not bothered. Of course the deer don't seem to be either. When it starts to rain real hard, it makes me miserable and keeps the deer hunckered down. Do I stop hunting in heavy rain?...Usually not, I hunt when I'm tired, hungry and cold, you might as well add wet to the mix...

Lastly, I honestly believe that hunting after a heavy rain can be one of the best times to be in the woods. It seem that every deer in the woods is moving at that time..

Quick Reply: hunting in rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.