Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain Lions in Carroll County >

Mountain Lions in Carroll County

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain Lions in Carroll County

Old 09-16-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Mountain Lions in Carroll County

This may seem like a rediculous topic to most but I feel the need to share it. Recently, I went out of town and my mother was house sitting my home in Northern Carroll County (Union Mills). One morning while sitting on my deck overlooking my back yard, she claimed to see a mountain lion. According to Mom, it was a brief sighting before the "mountain lion" disappeared into the woods. Mom has been surrounded by hunters all of her life and is what I would consider a fairly reliable source. When I questioned her about the possibilities of it being a domestic cat, fox, or perhaps even a dog, she became rather offended and stated, "I know what I saw, and it wasn't a domestic animal or a fox". Mom described the animal and by the description given, it is unlikely that it was a domestic animal. I contacted the DNR and advised of the reported sighting. DNR officials didn't seem to be surprised by the sighting. According to the DNR, reported sightings are more frequent than one might think although they are rarely confirmed, since the large cats don't stay around long and seem to disappear as easily as they appeared. I guess my question would be, has anyone else seen a mountain lion in or around my area? I am only a short distance south of Gettysburg.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mountain Lions in Carroll County

I have not seens any in your area - but I have in West/Central NH. I was hunting last year - Bow - and I had a nice ground blind spot in some rocks and through my binnoc. I began tracking the lower half of an animal along a scrap line - firsy I thought is was a deer - simialr color fur I guess - but as the animal broke a view I clearly saw the head of cat - lookin right at me.He ducked off quick up the ridge and I went to the spot an saw some clean tracks - bigger than my spread hand in diameter.

I did not track him into the cliffs! I did not see any deer that day either.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:20 PM

I live in the mts west of gettysburg.A few years ago there were some reliable reports of sightings near my house. I lease and hunt farms in maryland and used to live there. I can tell you that some isolated areas there still have a bobcat population. I have heard them a couple times and know many others that have. Could it have been a bobcat? Your area seems to be getting some coyote sightings too.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:53 PM

You know, I kinda thought the same thing, however my motherdescribed the cat as having an extremely long tail. Who knows? I guess its possible that she really did see a mountain lion in MD
Old 09-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

My buddy used to hunt on the mountain there near Thurmont. He told me before he had seen a mountain lion up there where he hunts. I scoffed at him, but at the Frederick Sportsmans show a few years ago, he told an officer from DNR about it (in front of me) and the officer said that wasn't uncommon, that apparently a mountain lion had escaped from one of the local zoo's (I don't know which one, Gettysburg or Catoctin) in the years past and this was apparently the culprit. I didn't believe my buddy until I heard it straight from DNR's mouth.

Slice.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw one a few yrs back in northern PA , on ANF land in mckean county!
Old 09-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DoubleLung55

I saw one a few yrs back in northern PA , on ANF land in mckean county!
Me too. ANF land in Elk County..a few years back. If I ever see one in deer season I will peg that sucker in a heartbeat, and give y'all some pics to scrutinize for authenticity.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:02 AM

talked the dnr can't kill a mountain lion in pa no season and said its against the law to kill one in pa unless being attacted so i guess you better be under attact
Old 09-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, they're occassionally seen. I know numerous people I trust implicitly who have seen them . . . including one sighting by me! No.1gamewarden who used to post here has pictures and a video of more than one mountain lion from both Harford and Cecil counties.

BTW--in Garrett county, the DNR has flyers in the grocerie stores asking people to report the sightings of mountain lions. They freely acknowledge their existence and are trying to get a figure on how many there are.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:17 PM

Nord QC Bouman;

I live in Carroll County, NH myself. I found tracks in the sand on the trail up towards Bald Peak, and I was able toput my hand completely inside the claw-less tracks. I know what I saw and have heard reports fromother reputable sources that have seen the cat(s) as well.

They're here; secretive and ghostlike; but they're here.

NH_WhiteRaven

Quick Reply: Mountain Lions in Carroll County

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.