Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 08-12-2005, 07:05 AM

Default RE: New York rifle bill passes: UPDATE

Well guys and gals, I was informed that the governor may quite possibly sit on his hands on this one. The word has it that he will not be signing the bill, so it will either be vetoed or pass wothout his signature.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-12-2005, 11:25 AM

I hear that!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Still no news ??!!!??
Old 08-16-2005, 06:56 AM

Well he has not signed it as of yesterday, as far as has he received it I do not know.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Spike

According to Senator Volker's office today (8/15), his aide said that the bill will be on the governor's desk this week. Now counting 10 days (depending on which day (could be Saturday) will still let us know the outcome, one way or the other, by the end of the month on the outside.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

ORIGINAL: BUCKARCHER
Another point when people say they can buy ammo cheaper and practice more, what about the people that have been hunting shotgun all their life and have all shotguns, and no rifle. I guess its ok for them to spend extra money now to change weapons.
Who says they have to quit using shotguns just because rifles become an option?. If shotguns are truely just as accurate andeffectiveas rifles in southern tier conditions why would they evenwant to change?

First thing I really don't want to get into a debat. I understand your point of veiw.
Obliviously you would like rifle bill to pass. Thats fine if you do, but I don't see were your going with these reasons.

Lets be honest now, you will be able to shoot at 300yds and I will only have a 100yd shot right. Now I don't think that is very fair. Now I would have to buy a rifle right? The main reason why they want to change weapons is for money!Plain and simple.Now with what I just said before, Why would I want to shoot ashotgun when everyone else is shooting a rifle, I think alot of others will be forced into buying a rifle also. Its notreally because they want to too, it just because it would make sense right.

ORIGINAL:BUCKARCHER
Then we also have poachers, its alot easier for them to take a shot from a raod now also..
What makes you think poachers arent already using rifles? By definition poachers are acting outside the game laws, and for spotlighting deer across a cornfield I doubt they are worried about breaking the "slugguns only" rule.

Yeah your right they don't follow the rules, but it would make it easier for them?
Or is it common for people to carry rifles in their trucks in shotgun country during hunting season. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules, it would also make double the punishment right!

I know from exsperince how many people are against hunting in general (anti's). Like what was earlier posted that we havehad accident #'s down. Because of it theAnti's don't have much of an argument on their side.ing that slugguns are safeSo why not keep it that way. It will only take one accident to trigger them.
By your own admission anti's are against hunting in general, It doesent matter how you do it they still dont like the fact that you are killing animals, Period. If it took only one accident to end hunting in NY, it would have ended this year.What more, According to a study by the PGC, rifle use actually results in fewer accidents than sluggun use.

Let me tell you if you hunted in my area you wouldknow what I mean. Enough said! And no one accident wouldn't end hunting, it would just give them more fuel for the fire!!!!! If you don't know they are attacking us in seperate situations, not the hole picture. In that I mean they will try restrct us as much as possible.

Please keep an open mind, and not personal prefence. Beacuse I don't believe we should change just because of personal prefernce.
Wouldent the "open minded" aproach be to give rifle hunting a try for a few years? How do you know rifle hunting the southern tier wont work, we've never tried it(in recent times, since the advnt of hunter safty courses).
No the open mind would think of the precautions just before doing something. Or do you justact and ask questions later. Hey look you never really answered any of the important questions that I asked. Do you believe that you would be a better hunter with a rifle, and if so ....How?

Also what about the fact that they made these zones shotgun for a reason, population and landscape. Now I know that our population of people has grown over here, and the landscape hasen't changed. So what exactly is different?

Please don't take this personal because it is not my intent! I understand your point of veiw and it is for what I can see that you would like too be able to shoot your rifle. Thats fine! Just see my point of view also!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

First thing I really don't want to get into a debat. I understand your point of veiw.
Obliviously you would like rifle bill to pass. Thats fine if you do, but I don't see were your going with these reasons.

Lets be honest now, you will be able to shoot at 300yds and I will only have a 100yd shot right. Now I don't think that is very fair. Now I would have to buy a rifle right? The main reason why they want to change weapons is for money!Plain and simple.Now with what I just said before, Why would I want to shoot ashotgun when everyone else is shooting a rifle, Iffect your own?think alot of others will be forced into buying a rifle also. Its notreally because they want to too, it just because it would make sense right.

Hunting is a personal endevor, not a contest pitting you against the Jones' next door. Why would you let someone else's firearm choice affect your decision? For me the switchfrom shotguns to rifles will mean onlyone thing, I will start carrying a bolt action .270 with a 3.5-10 rather thanmy bolt action rifled 12ga with a 3-9. I will still hunt from the same stands, an take the same shots<150yds, but I will doing it with a gun that I am much moreproficient with, And one which is inherently3 timesmore accuratethan the slug gun.

Yeah your right they don't follow the rules, but it would make it easier for them?
Or is it common for people to carry rifles in their trucks in shotgun country during hunting season. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules, it would also make double the punishment right!

I think we agree that poachers are already using rifles, so why hinder legal hunters with a less accurate firearm?

Let me tell you if you hunted in my area you wouldknow what I mean. Enough said! And no one accident wouldn't end hunting, it would just give them more fuel for the fire!!!!! If you don't know they are attacking us in seperate situations, not the hole picture. In that I mean they will try restrct us as much as possible.

If we really want to placate the anti's, why dont we just give up firearm hunting and switch to bow, that would really get them off our back,,,,, WRONG. The fact of the matter is, anti's hate the very act of killing animals, plain and simple, changing the method of how you kill said animals will neither unify nor disband them, they are against hunting for the long haul. People will be injured and killed whether we use rifles, or shotguns, or archery, hunting is a "risky" activity, just like driving a car, or getting out of bed in the morning, there are a million ways for people to get hurt and die, that is a fact of life you just have to live with, not be fearful of. I see no reason to restict our sport because of fear that someone will get hurt, I can gaurantee youpeople will get hurt, just as they would should we take to the woods with any other implement, but study's (like the PGC one I mentioned) have shown us tha the use of rifles is generaly no more hazzardous than the use of modern slugguns.

No the open mind would think of the precautions just before doing something. Or do you justact and ask questions later. Hey look you never really answered any of the important questions that I asked. Do you believe that you would be a better hunter with a rifle, and if so ....How?

Also what about the fact that they made these zones shotgun for a reason, population and landscape. Now I know that our population of people has grown over here, and the landscape hasen't changed. So what exactly is different?

Please don't take this personal because it is not my intent! I understand your point of veiw and it is for what I can see that you would like too be able to shoot your rifle. Thats fine! Just see my point of view also!

I guess being open minded where you come from is similarto being stuffy, conservative and fearfull where I come from. As faras will rifle use make me a better hunter?, the question is very vague, but I'll bite. By means of the rifle's greater accuracy (3X in my case) And the factthat I get much, muchmore practice with my rifles, I believe the use of a rifle will allow me to place my shots with greather precision, which willlead to cleaner kills.Now If you meant the question I a way like, will it force me to better my field craft, I gun hunt from my (succesful) bowstands, 'nuff said.

As for politicians making slug only zones for a reason, All I can say is in NorthernPA hunters use rifles in the same terrain as we in Southern New York use slugguns.

Ok I see were you going with this. I think that you pretty much answer what I exspected. You like Rifle plain and simple..... Greater accuracy huh!...lol .... in under 100 yds? I think your losing the point. Have you ever herd that driver wins the race not the car. Well now if you practice with any weapon it will be effective. Nowyou say that you be able to practice more with arifle, how is that?
Which is still your personal choice.
Also the open minded commment was not necessary. Yes I am open minded.
And this is NY not PA..... Remember that, our population is far greater. I don't care what studys you are looking at... Its commen sense, if you can shoot farther you be able to hit things farther. I'm not going into detail! Yes I think of safety first, enough said.......

As for the personal endevor I don't care who you ask, if you have the ablilty to shoot an animal at 300yds compared to 100yrds, I'm pretty sure the choice is common sense. Now this is going no were. I don't want to debat with you.

You obliviously perfer rifle........... My intenet was to say it was not necessary in our zone.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.