Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 08-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New York rifle bill passes: UPDATE

It'll be interesting to find out how this all goes. I really think action would be soon, or at the very least delayed a session (congress).
Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 AM

From what I understand of the process, the bill has left both the house and the Assembly and is on the governor's desk waiting to be signed and this is according to the county legislators.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:17 AM

The way I plan on finding out if the Governor signed the bill is by checking http://www.state.ny.us/governor/press/year05/press05.html#hdaily. I hope this works anyway. It doesn't help as far as finding out the status of the bill.

As far as all the BO stuff earlier in the thread, I agree with BO being common sense. But if everyone that is going to be in the woods this fall had the common sense as those do in this forum, the controversy over the rifle bill would be non-existent. Most of the controversy is over the capability of a rifle and what would happen if some moron was pissin' off 300+ yard shots at a running deer. Sometimes you have to help along the folks who don't pick up on things very quickly. As for the rifle bill, you just hope that the guys in the woods have enough common sense to use a rifle safely. They seem to have confidence that hunters will hunt safely based on other areas where rifle hunting is allowed.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:50 AM

Well I sent an E-mail off to the Governor or who ever it is that reads them, expressing my feelings about the subject and asking him to sign the bill into law.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

I dont think anyone is looking for the "easy way out" with regards to switching from slugguns to rifles, most people shoot deer at the same distance with a rifle as they do with a shotgun (less than 150yds).The real difference, for me anyways, is that I ammore proficient with my rifles as I can afford to get more pratice with them. I can handload my .270 with Sierra Pro-Hunters and IMR4831for $0.34 a round. My Mossberg 695 likes Winchester Platinum-Tips which costs 11.99 plus 8.25%tax per 5 or $2.59 a shot. That, coupled with the fact that the slug gun shoots 2.25MOA and the rifle shoots .75MOA means that using a rifle will more likely result in a properly placed shot, and a clean kill.
I'll secondyour comment as well!!!
Another point to ponder is this: We can now use in the southerntier, High powered single shot pistolsthat use "rifle" cartridges, and in-line Muzzel loaders with rifled bores. So now, tell me exactly why using a "rifle" would be more risky????? A rifle is much more accurate than a shotgun, and delivers more energy at 100-150 yards than a shotgun does, and yet there are some guys who routinely shoot at deer at that distance with slug guns??? Talk about crippling a deer or what. A rifle will get the job done at those distances much more reliably than a slug gun ever will. This just boils down to the same in-line VS the flintlock, recurve VS the compound bowdebates. Lets stop getting worked up over nothing. I hate using a slug gun, they are heavy to carry all day, and most of them can't group worth a darn past 75 yards anyway. I'm in all favor for this new Bill to be passed, and it's about time!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think people are worried about shooting rifles , I think they are worried about Joe 6 pack firing a rifle at a deer 300yrds away and hitting a family of 4 driving on the road. Or a house or them. Resposible people I have no problem with it just the guys that don't have a clue that I'm worried about. Also fear not , we are our own worst enemy, somebody will ruin this before it has a chance to flurish. Some people are stupid , that's just a fact of life, some yahoo will ruin it for everyone.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:30 AM

That and the guy that came up from the "Big City" with his semi-auto shot gun last year and emptied it twice trying to hit what he thought was a deer, returning this year with his BAR AND 10 clips to do the same thing this year.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:04 AM

Ok first off I have nothing against rifle, I've been hunting for 11 years now in shotgun country...I have hunted in rifle country for 2 years. Out of the 11 years I have taken a deer each year either with my bow, or shotgun. Out of the 2 seasons in rifle country I have only seen one deer. Now I'm not saying anything bad on rifle hunting, becauseI like challenges, but I do believe it has a major affect on deer, and their nerves. Basically my exsperince in Riflecountry sucks.. Now I'm not here to shoot anyone down. But when it comes to deer hunting in NY, their is no reason for rifle hunting. A goodknowledgeable hunter should be able to take a deer every year. Now when it comes to prefernce, if you really like rifle in general. Then thats a different story. But in all honesty 0- 100 yds in todays time with a shotgun, their is noneed for rifle. So when I hear people say that it will make them a better hunter, or they perfer rifle over shotgun under 100yds I really laugh. If you practice with any weapon and stay withen that weapons range it willwork well. You don't need a rifle to be better. Another point when people say they can buy ammo cheaper and practice more, what about the people that have been hunting shotgun all their life and have all shotguns, and no rifle. I guess its ok for them to spend extra money now to change weapons.

Now as for the safety issues,now we are talking about a hole other ball game(even worse). Perfect sitituation is were I hunt. The main reasonwhy theymade thesezones in the first place was to protect people, in areas were population and landscape made it difficult and dangerous for long range shots.Thats why they made it shotgun country. Now with that said.

Population has grown, and the landscape is the same but we are saying that it is ok to use rifle now????? I don't get it at all. I really think that we should consider the consequences this may bring to hunting in general. I know from exsperince how many people are against hunting in general (anti's). Like what was earlier posted that we havehad accident #'s down. Because of it theAnti's don't have much of an argument on their side. So why not keep it that way. It will only take one accident to trigger them. I believe it something like that were to happen it would even worse the just bringing it back toshotgun. These are things that we need to think about. Not just oh I want to be able to get that Buck at 200yds. I for one would rather have safety first, then a trophy. So those of you that usesafety measures, I'm not talking about. Their is whether we like are not hunters that just don't care. That will take that risky shot!
Then we also have poachers, its alot easier for them to take a shot from a raod now also..

All these things we have to keep in our minds. I am open minded and understand everyones point of view.Ifanyone disagrees with me thats fine. I appologize if anyone takes this comment offensive in any way. I just wanted express my opinion like everyone else.

If anyone can honestly say that Rifle hunting will make them better hunter in under 100yds, and that they couldn't make the same shot with a shotgun.Oblivious with practice! Please keep an open mind, and not personal prefence. Beacuse I don't believe we should change just because of personal prefernce.I shoot a rifled barrel shot gun and can hit my target accuratly at 90yds. So it can be done!

So in all I believe that we are causeing more problems, then creatingbetter hunting!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

in all honesty i feel that hunting with a rifle can be done in certain areas but in some cases i honestly feel that using a rifle would not be a good idea.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.