Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

[Deleted]

Old 07-31-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-31-2005, 11:47 AM

Default RE: New York rifle bill passes: UPDATE

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Going out there to NY deer hunting where they have no blaze orange requirement had me come close to shooting a person once.
Except that NY voluntary compliance rate of BO is equal to or higher than most all states that have mandatory BO. This is combined with one of the lowest accident rates of any state. Your chance of almost shooting a person would be just as great in those states. Possibly greater because many feel that if they don't immediately see BO, it must be safe. I am not implying this is you, but it is definately a tendency for some.

More EDUCATION - not more meaningless laws that place responsibility on the victim!
How about more PROSECUTION for those that can't figure it out?

I have used "hunter shooting" clips from the local newspaper to teach my boys about hunter safety. I ask "What did he do wrong, here?" as we would read the article aloud.

The shooter always violates some basic safety rule, but 8 or 9 times out of 10, the "victim" wasn't wearing Blaze Orange. Imagine how low our accident rate could be if BO was required.

Clearly, the onus is on the hunter to make sure of his target - and I believe the shooter should be prosecuted for reckless endangerment whenever there is an incident.

But everyone should do what they can to prevent themselves from becoming a "victim." Blaze Orange is a common sense, must have item.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:09 PM

I think like seat belts blaze orange is a common sense, must have item but, I don't think that legislation is needed we do not need someone else making our decisions for us. Seat belt laws are the dumbest in the land, they are nearly unenforceable and who benefits form the law (Insurance companies) thats all.
I wear seat belts and have all my driving life, seat belts have saved my, my wife's life and a car seat our daughter's life however we are adults and should be treated as such by being allowed to make our own decisions.

Old 07-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-31-2005, 10:06 PM

Blaze orange laws are not only to protect you as a hunter from being shot. They are also for protecting those around you. The theory is, if they see orange, they then know its not safe to shoot near you. If they identify a target and shoot, with you somewhere close by the target, in camo, well, they wont see you. Yes, getting a slug in the guts would suck for sure, but what about some young hunter who did EVERYTHING right, but wasnt aware of your presence nearby or behind an identified target? His life is over, in a sense, too. Thats why most states talk about BO being mandatory.

Seat belts are a whole different story, thats just covering the state against liability. The sad fact is, it ought to be called UNCOMMON sense, because you seldom see it anymore...
Old 08-01-2005, 09:39 AM

Again Blaze Orange is a good thing making the wearing of it a law is not, unless you make it maditory for hunters under age 18, like it used to be for drinking for instance. I wear blaze Orange if I am on the ground, when I am in my treestand I see no reason for it.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:21 PM

BigJohn, I respect your wanting the choice. But, when Im out there hunting and I cant see YOU, because of YOUR choice, then its effecting me too. I hate laws when common sense should prevail, but not everyone is going to make that smart decision as you do, on their own. In hilly ground blaze orange helps, again, with being able to see whats beyond the target. I know, it sounds stupid, but its one of those "cover your a$$" laws, Im afraid. I see your point though, so please dont feel Im taking exception with you...
Old 08-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Bill Yox, not a problem everyone is entitled to their opinion. I hut with a group of guys on private land, we have radios and we know where everyone is hunting when we are on the move we radio and as I said we wear blaze when we are on the ground. You also know there are STUPID PEOPLE that will shoot at any noise, while on the ground and in blaze orange cover alls I was shot at by someone not of the group and tresspassing, I guess what I am trying to say you can't account for the stupid!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

it has not gotten to the Gov.'s desk. why they aren't saying. i read that the sponsor feels it will be signed soon in August. I was also told that if he doesn't sign it (which he very well might not) it will become law by default.

as far as my thoughts on the whole thing.... I am not overly enthused about having every Tom, Dick, & and Harry (and careless, inexperienced, or idiots hunters) running threw the woods lobbing 30-06 bullets. however, I don't think it will be as bad as that. I think in most of the areas the topography is ok for rifle (mountains/hills/woods, etc), but there are also areas that don't have that topography and ar more populated. I don'y think I'll be using my .270 but I will love to be able to use my .44 mag Winchester.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.