Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Trees: a public menace >

Trees: a public menace

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Trees: a public menace

Old 06-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trees: a public menace

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

I believe there should be a branchrestriction,(Br). All trees that are over the (Br) are legal game!
I love that idea!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

can we get bonus tags????
Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

A trick I heard of, that some folks use on their property, is to take a saw and cut the bark to the wood, just a thin saw kerf, all the way around the tree. This leaves the tree standing, but kills the tree and leaves it bare, allowing sunlight into the forest. They would then come back the next year and cut it for firewood for the campfire or fireplace. This would be ILLEGAL on public property of course.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now is the time for private land owners to make their property a deer magnet. The Raystown study clearly shows how deer quickly move to safe havens when things get tough.Maple logs are at an all time high have areas of your land cut & clear the canopy.Take some of the timber money and plant food plots in these thick areas.We are going to live with fewer deer so get used to it .But the better your land is for cover and feedthe better it will be a the first Saturday of rifle season when ever one else is not seeing anything.And for you people that are forced to hunt state land ,write letters make calls , this one hundred year plan the PGC has is a slap in the face to all hunters .With over one million acersof land cuttingone per cent a year is just plain dumb.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: livbucks

A trick I heard of, that some folks use on their property, is to take a saw and cut the bark to the wood, just a thin saw kerf, all the way around the tree. This leaves the tree standing, but kills the tree and leaves it bare, allowing sunlight into the forest. They would then come back the next year and cut it for firewood for the campfire or fireplace. This would be ILLEGAL on public property of course.
These are what we use in Cameron Co. to do that and it is legal.
If you don't know what it is, it's a Porcupine they can kill a big tree in no time and they they like the little ones to.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:15 AM

Selective Timber Harvest is the answer. You don't cut all the big trees, just some. With a good quality forester (i only charge 10% lol) you can go in about every 5 to 10yrs and do it again. Like bawanajim said, take the money and put out food plots and buy yourself some hunting toys. IMHO this is the healthiest way for the forest, critters, and the land owner!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Actually , this is called survival of the fittest and is completely natural . What is out of whack is the game and varmint populations , which we have only ourselves to blame for . Whacking all of the mature trees would destroy the ecosystem , you can't take out that big a piece of the puzzle and still have the whole picture .

May I respectfully suggest that you research the entire concept of ecosystems next time before posting please ?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I respectfully disagree , Kev. Did the clearcutting of the whole state at the turn of the century destroy the "ecosystem". The eco-wizards think they can preserve the forest the pretty way (BIG "OLE TREES FOR MILES) it is and still sustain it. The only rule in nature, my friend, is everything that lives must one day die, and return to the earth, so that new life can be created. Have a little faith in nature and the regenerating power that it wields.
I just realized you are from Indiana
Old 07-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kevin I did not see any one suggest we clear cut the state.But the PGC has chosen to lower deer numbers to levels some of us land owners think are to low.

So If I wanted to go look at big trees I would go to a park.I instead like to hunt deer.Deer don't thrive in big woods areas so I chose to make not only a profit but better habitat for the game I prefer by cutting down the large maples.By doing so I make more room for the oaks that I want & create cover for my deer.

I also trapor shoot every crow ,coon ,opposum & skunk I find.I would shoot the hawks also but we all know they are "protected".
Old 07-01-2005, 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Actually , this is called survival of the fittest and is completely natural . What is out of whack is the game and varmint populations , which we have only ourselves to blame for . Whacking all of the mature trees would destroy the ecosystem , you can't take out that big a piece of the puzzle and still have the whole picture .

May I respectfully suggest that you research the entire concept of ecosystems next time before posting please ?
I hope there is no loggers on this site...[:@]

Quick Reply: Trees: a public menace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.