Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Miscellaneous
 Hunting Land - Southern Adirondacks >

Hunting Land - Southern Adirondacks

Community
Miscellaneous Still trying to get rid of that old couch or TV? Try selling it here.

Hunting Land - Southern Adirondacks

Old 11-15-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Land - Southern Adirondacks

Thanks for the link, however this article doesn't really tell me whether one is allowed to HUNT deer over a food plot. The hunting regulations still state that hunting over bait is illegal. If you have 10 hunters on your 300 acres, and you plant a food plot somewhere in there, I can't really see how technically it wouldn't be considered baiting. Don't get me wrong here, I am not passing judgements on you or anyone else who would hunt over a food plot planted specifically for deer, but I really think the NYS regulations are rather vague on this. I understand fully that hunting over a cornfield can be viewed as a form of baiting also, like someone else mentioned, but most corn is planted for human consumption, or to be used by livestock after harvesting it. There seems to be a difference here, at least in my mind.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 AM

To me a food plot is nothing more than a planted field.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 AM

You are more than entitled to your opinion, but to say that the regulations are vague is misguided:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7197.html - If you read the link it clearly states:

Part 189 of Title 6 of the Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York was adopted on July 30, 2003. Part of this rule restricts the feeding of deer.

In New York, it is illegal to feed deer by putting out any material that attracts deer to feed.

There are five exceptions to the rule:

1. Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.

If you choose to interpret that as vague, it's your prerogative, but please don't continue to post that planting food plots is'baiting' because you choose to not understand the regulations. It just causes confusion for other hunters.

If you still do not understand the law, please call the NYSDEC Bureau of Wildlife @ (518) 402-8924 and discuss with them to get some clarity.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, but the link you posted is about deer feeding regulations, NOT hunting regulations. It says absolutely nothing about being allowed to SHOOT a deer over one of these food plots. Attracting deer to only look at them or helping them to get some food in the winter is different than attracting them for the purpose of shooting them. Like I said, I am not judging you in any way and don't care if you want to hunt this way, but the link you post doesn't answer the simple question. I searched the web and really can't find out anything else one way or the other about this in our home state, but I will stick with my comment that the rule as it stands is vague until someone can come up with something more definitive.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:23 AM

My only comment at this point is to contact the DEC at the number I posted previously and they will clarify for you, as they did for me yesterday, that it is legal to hunt overagricultural food plots.

If you feel the wording is vague, might as well talk to the experts!

Good Luck.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 PM

i think steve is just being a prick now lol. but it is funny as hell to read.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 AM

Up to him to post what he wants, but I just want to make sure people get accurate informationfrom the DEC site. Baiting vs. Food Plots is a sensitive issue, but think everyone should have access to the actual regulations.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

In another 7 or 8 years when you legally become an adult we could maybe discuss your comments further, until then I choose not to.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Steve863

In another 7 or 8 years when you legally become an adult we could maybe discuss your comments further, until then I choose not to.
Steve,
Are you serious? Did you read exception #1? I think it's self explanatory. Yes/No? Maybe I'm reading it wrong