Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois Crossbows? >

Illinois Crossbows?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois Crossbows?

Old 01-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Illinois Crossbows?

A couple of you asked about my post and I answered it in the bowhunting forum but will also post it there for all to read.

The information about the crossbows being put in came from the senator that is thinking of proposing them. You can call Senator Todd Sieben at 217-782-0180. Tell him your a Illinois resident and how you feel on this. The 2 Illinois Bowhunting organizations are working on a compromise to help youth get out and hunt without allowing the crossbow into the archery season. Feel free to shoot me a email and I can get into this in detail if you like . ([email protected])

The information about the check stations has come from a bowhunting organitation leader. The archery check stations are being eliminated and they are going to a call in system like they do for turkey. Theres even talks of getting rid of the firearm check stations.

Theres a bunch of proposals that are being talked about right know and will be out in writing this next week. As they come out i will try to post them to keep everyone informed.

Don
Old 01-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

As if there isn't already enough people that don't check in deer already, they are going to make it easier!!

I personally like the checkstations, kind of a pain sometimes to get to one, but would still want them
Old 01-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

I would rather they got rid of ckeck stations all together there is no reason we should have to hall a deer all over the country to check them in. The people that are always legal are still going to be legal. The people that were never legal are still going to stay that way to.

As for the crossbow use, my father is disabled from having polio when he was a boy without him being able to use a crossbow there would be on less hunter in the woods and I would only be able to hunt with him during shot gun season and since he usually kills out on the first morning I would pretty much lose one of my best hunting buddies. I say keep it like it is if your disabled and can't hunt with a regular bow and qualify to use a crossbow then you should be able to.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with you 8 Tines. The handicap permit they have for those that need it is a great way to still enjoy archery season.

Don
Old 01-18-2005, 08:46 PM

I could also imagine the argument of a youth crossbow permit being more acceptable to some for the kids who can't draw the legal min as oppossed to just making crossbows legal for everyone....

As far as the checkstations. The ones for bow are pretty nicely spread out so you don't have to drive 30 miles to get to them. I think we have 3-4 within 10-15 minutes of here (All directions). Shotgun is a bit of a different story. I don't see the financial benifit to the state for eliminating archery checkstations. I can actually imagine it costing the state some revenue in sales Tax as the local shops say they sell a lot to people who are checking deer. They might not be able to get the impulse buy as easy without forcing people to come in... Just a thought.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, i think the youth crossbow permit is kinda a good idea. And as for eliminating checkinstations i think the should cut a couple archery and save the shotgun. But then again most of the archery ones i know of our gas stations so its really no problem for them i wouldnt think.