Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Anti's target Indiana >

Anti's target Indiana

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Anti's target Indiana

Old 12-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Anti's target Indiana

EVANSVILLE, IN (December 10, 2004) -- Expressing outrage at the hunting death of a 13-year-old boy, The Fund for Animals, an animal protection organization with 200,000 members and active supporters nationwide, is calling for Indiana to establish a minimum hunting age of 16. According to a news report on 14WFIE, Evansville, the teenager, who was not identified in the report, was squirrel hunting with two other boys in Virgo County south of Terre-Haute on Saturday, December 4 when he was fatally shot.

Indiana has no minimum hunting age. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources encourages children to hunt by offering a "Combined Youth Hunting/Fishing License" to residents under 18 for just $7. The "Combined Youth License" covers most forms of hunting, including deer and turkey hunting. A review of Indiana’s hunting and fishing regulations reveals that comparable adult licenses would cost more than $80.

"The only purpose of these cut-rate licenses is to recruit children who are too young to hunt safely," said Fund program coordinator Norm Phelps. "The DNR is gambling with the lives of Indiana’s children, and last Saturday a child and his family paid the price. Hunters have to make split-second decisions about firing a high-powered, long-range weapon under intense emotional stress," Phelps continued. "Even the most mature of young children cannot do this safely and responsibly on a consistent basis, and it is unrealistic to expect a hunter education class to make up for a child’s natural lack of emotional maturity.

After all, 13 year-olds wouldn’t be allowed to drive even if they were to take a driver education class."

Fund for Animals’ president Michael Markarian said, "Indiana is showing a reckless disregard for public safety by putting firearms in the hands of children. When a child is killed, or kills someone else, the responsibility for this tragedy rests with the legislators and bureaucrats who failed to protect them. Because of Indiana’s negligence, a child has died and a family has lost a son."

Added Fund for Animals national director Heidi Prescott, "Indiana has a minimum age of 16 for driving a car and 21 for drinking alcohol because officials recognize that these activities require physical, intellectual, and emotional maturity. But Indiana allows young children to go hunting with a high-powered rifle or shotgun. It makes no sense."
Old 12-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anti's target Indiana

Some people need to get a life!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

whats next if a child drowns while fishing are they going to call for a minimum fishing age.accidents happen people die.but hunting accidents are very rare compared to other activities.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:57 AM

I hope these children dont play ping pong there more likely to die doing that then hunting of course the number one killer of teen age kids is car accidents hmm makes yah think was this published in a news paper and where do i send a letter to the editer we have to take an active roll in protecting our right to hunt and enjoy the bounty the outdoors has to offer
Old 12-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Ohio 17 and under hunters must be with a adult ( 18 or older) to hunt .
I feel that the Anti's are just looking to peck away at our rights.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a joke. I got my first .22 when I was 7 years old...and a .410 when I was 10. I was taught to be safe and make good decisions from my family. Not 1 accident in my 23 years of living.

I plan on getting my kids into hunting at a young age as well....when I start having kids that is.