Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 How are things looking in MI? >

How are things looking in MI?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

How are things looking in MI?

Old 10-05-2004, 08:49 AM

Default How are things looking in MI?

I haven't seen much activity from my fellow Michiganders. What are some of the early reports from the Michigan bowhunters out there?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Spike

Default RE: How are things looking in MI?

ya good question. i want some nice stories

huntingmichigan
Old 10-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I made it out friday night and passed on a small 4 point and 4 more "antlerless" deer. Duck opener sounded like a literal blast for some guys who hunted jensen and martiny but, sucked for my group on john brown and horsehead lake.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:05 PM

well guys the deer seem to be moving pretty good down in my neck of the woods i had 17 deer come into my stand last nite at 5:30 there where 2 spikes a button buck which was the first out, and then a very nice 4 pointer that i think if he makes it through gun season will be an impressive buck next year, well after watching these deer for a while i decided to fill a doe tag an put some venison in the freezer, it was a perfect double lung and heart shot she didnt go real far when i got her home we put her on the scale she was 130 lbs and also when i was dressing her i noticed the tarsals where already turning dark an you could smell them

good luck to the rest of the michiganders
Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 AM

Well, my opening weekend went something like this...

I went out friday afternoon, put up my treestand and climbing sticks. I hunted friday nite from the stand but had no luck. Saturday morning I came back to my tree and found that there was no stand at the top of my climbing sticks. Someone stole my damn stand. So, i hunted from the ground saturday morning, didn't see anything but squirrels.

Saturday evening, I setup my ground blind, and some guy with 2 mutts was stomping his way through the woods squirrel hunting. His freakin dogs came right up to me barking up a storm.

Sunday morning, i went to a different area and hunted a few yards behind a small field. Around 8am or so, some dove hunters with a lab sat about 60 feet from me shooting like crazy.

By Sunday evening i was about to give up... I decided to just go out dove hunting because i figured that all the dogs/dovehunters/squirrel hunters probably ran the deer off. I did see one dove, got one shot, but missed!

Needless to say, i had a pretty bad weekend! I hate public land!

Btw, this was in Onstead State Game area Lenewee county.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:20 PM

Well I gotta' say that things up here in the Northeastern part of lower Michigan are moving pretty slow!! [&o]

The weather has been too warm except for one day, (this past Tuesday) and they were movin' around a bit. I saw 8 does that morning. It's been really windy up here too, not the best combination for the deer to move a bunch (heat & wind)

I'm sure that when the colder weather does show up it will put a different aspect into motion and the deer will follow suit.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:28 PM

Hunted in K-zoo county Oct. 1,2,3 and saw a total of 72 antlerless deer 1 spike and 2 button bucks holding out for Mr. bone head. Back home in the Soo 3 trips out and not one sighting....
Old 10-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Started off slow here on the opener for me seen some does no bucks yet/!! Any signs of rutting in southern Mich yet?
Old 10-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Slow for me here in Norther Oakland county. Have been hunting quite a bit. Saw good bucks all summer and now all I'm seeing are does, spikes and tons of turkeys. Didn't even see a deer yesterday evening. That's very strange. Gonna lay off for a week or so and hopefully the rut will start some activity. Haven't even found a scrape yet.

clattin
Old 10-16-2004, 02:59 PM

The last 5 days have been REAL slow! Tricked down from the last post,.. from those 8 to 4 to 2 to 1!!
Yesterday and today nothing,.. cold front is starting to move in with rain & high winds. They say it might turn into SNOW tonight![8D]

Quick Reply: How are things looking in MI?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.