Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin T-Zone >

Wisconsin T-Zone

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin T-Zone

Old 09-20-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Wisconsin T-Zone

Ok Wisconsin Bowhunters, I need some opinions.
The first Zone-T anterless-only hunt is October 28 through October 31. During these few days, hunters must wear blaze orange and can use firearms to shoot only antlerless deer. Here's where I need some advice. I get my week of vacation on the 3rd of Novemberand want to hunt the rut hard. What will the added hunting pressure from the zone-t hunt do to the rut? Is it possible it will push the rut off a week or two? What can hunting pressure do to deer activity during the rut? This is the first year my area is in a t-zone, and I'm not sure what to expect from extra hunting pressure. Normally the rut falls on the first or second week of November in my area. Any help will be appretiated.
Thanks.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:00 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wisconsin T-Zone

Drop-tine:

I think it depends on where you hunt. If it is public land, or even private land with a lot of hunting pressure, you will have more "educated" deer that will be harder to hunt. If on the other hand you are hunting an area where either no t-zone hunts were allowed by landowners or the hunting was limited (i.e. no drives for does), then it should not make much difference.

The peak of the rut where I hunt in Trempealeau County is supposed to be sometime around November 2 or 4. The biggest gripe I have about a hunt in late-October is that the pre-rut is sometimes a better time to hunt.

SO unless you are hunting an area that is hunted like crazy, the t-zone should not affect your hunting in early November. If there will be hunting pressure in that area, try to get out the weekend of the t-zone hunt and get your tag filled if you are in an Earn a Buck area.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

From a positive standpoint........if the Tzone hunters take enough does it will cause the bucks to search harder for estrus does seeing how there will be less. I hunt on private land and it and the neighboring land don't get hunted hard. But if your in an earn a buck area there will likely be a lot of hunters trying to earn their buck..........dabow
Old 09-21-2004, 08:50 AM

Should be pretty nuts this year in EAB zones. I have hunted TZone the last 3 years and the number of hunters is pretty low. This year with everyone needing a doe first, I am sure there will be a whole lot more hunters out there. I know some archery hunters get pissed because of the TZone, but that is what we are stuck with. If you can find an escape route, or where the deer go when things are busy you should be alright..
Old 09-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

I think thst the T-zone hunt is very disruptive at a very good time to bow hunt. I wish they would move the early T-zone hunt to the last weekend in Sept.
Brian
Old 09-21-2004, 03:26 PM

Actually, I hunt in the north-eastern part of Adams County, my area is only a T-Zone and not an earn a buck. I do however agree with the dnr's deer numbers, but at the same time I don't agree at all with the dates they have chosen for the early zone t hunt. It is totally disruptive to the best hunting of the year as far as Trophy hunting goes anyway. But, thats what we're dealt with so thats what we'll have to do I guess. I just hope that when I get back in the woods the day after the t-zone hunt, the deer are moving around enough so us bow hunters can enjoy a quality rut hunt.