Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Got my first turkey this morning!! >

Got my first turkey this morning!!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Got my first turkey this morning!!

Old 05-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Got my first turkey this morning!!

Well after a quite eventfull morning, I got my first turkey going into my 3rd season and on my 28th birthday none the less.

After making our 2 our trip to the hunting area this morning, my buddy and I make our way to where we want to set up. He thought he spotted a bird in the tree so we parked it for a while. Long before sun up we could here one drumming right in front of me. After a little bit of time and some owls hooting the gobbling kicked in. There was one in the tree that was 20 yards away, another in a tree about 25 yards away, another up the hill about 60 yards and yet another down the hill about 60 yards. My buddy, with his eagle eye has spotted 3 of the 4....and the only reason he couldn't spot the other is because it was to his back. Me on the other hand...couldn't find a one!! The one down low flew down early and headed out. After some time the close one finally flew down.....after he started puttin at us. Just as he flew down, I finally located him. He flew down to a meadow on the neighboring property. So I started focusing on the one that was about 25 yards away. After a few minutes I finally catch movement and see his tail. He stayed put for about 5 minutes and than flew down to the same meadow. Than the last one joined the same flight path and headed down there also. So here we sit 4 gobblers later with no birds within 200 yards. We sit still for quite some time. After a while we could here a tom coming back and gobbling, but than he turned and got faint. After some time, we pack it in to head to the property across the road for a mid morning change. As we were walking in we spooked one hen and she flew off. We finally get to our destination and get set up.

We put one hen decoy out in the field about 20 yards and then set up behind the fence line. Wayne set himself up behind me about 10 yards and did a little calling. Every once in a while, he would here a hen yelp and he would lightly respond. After some time of quiet we here a loud cluck. Couldn't have been 50 to 60 yards away. Then we could here him drumming. Next thing I know the hen is on top of the decoy and circling it. Still listening to the drumming of the tom and watching her, I am getting my self ready. Finally the tom comes into view!! I signal to my buddy that I see him and raise the gun click the safety, draw the bead and wham!!!! my first turkey!! What a great morning!! When we went up to the field we found his tracks not but 12-15 yards away from where I was sitting. I was sitting kind of below the level of the field and couldn't see them until they were on top of the decoy.

He weighed in right at 19 lbs, had a 9" beard and 3/4" long spurs. Has to be one of my best birthdays yet!!

Old 05-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my first turkey this morning!!

good job ilbowman, those first ones are the best get you hooked for good
Old 05-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

bow man that is FANTASIC!!! that long of a wait makes it all the sweeter and you put in your time. It's a heck of show when it happens like that.
I struck out this yr didn't take a shot I should have in so ILL. and my MO. hunt got canceled wife's mom is not doing well may have to spend the cash on going to texas. but am allready planning to make up for it next yr.
I'M thrilled for you buddy
Old 05-03-2004, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

CONGRATS ON THE BIRD.... What a wonderful B-Day Present
Happy Birthday