Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Please help, im losing it! >

Please help, im losing it!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Please help, im losing it!

Old 12-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Please help, im losing it!

When I first started hunting thirty years ago I would ahve the same problem. And after thinking about each miss I would relize that I was rushing my shoots aand even then it would be hard to slow myself down as soon as I would see a deer and get the sights on it I was pulling the trigger. Slow down relax this can be hard but ussually after your first couple it will become somewhat easier but even now when I see a deer even when i am not planning to shoot it I get that thrill
Old 12-26-2003, 12:22 PM

If that thrill ever goes away, it's time to hang up the boots.... It's all about learning control.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:53 PM

i dint have this problem on my first two deer (does one with bow one with gun) they both dropped within 15 feet of the shot but then i got overconfident and stopped concentrateing missed 4 easy shots at standing broadside deer in one year that was more than enough to reaffrim my practice regimine and i got serious ended up shooting a nice buck on the last day of the season last year it was one of the best feelings ive ever had knowing that i took it upon myself to improve my skills then seeing it pay off

i gues what im saying is think through what exactly you have done when shooting at deer and then pick the process apart step by step and make as much improvement as possible in each area
Old 01-01-2004, 10:48 AM

To me, Buck Fever is a myth caused by bad or poorly developed habits due to lack of practice or lack of methodical correct practice

Hunters die every year due to buck fever.

My first and second years of bow hunting I went 1 for 10. 8 bucks all misses.
Thought it was buck fever untill I missed a doe. Finally got one early my second year. I found out I was white knuckling the bow and jerking it during the shot. Now I have a routine each and everytime I shoot wether its with a gun or bow. Its important to practice your routine also.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

What distance are you sighting in at, and what distance are you shooting the deer at?

If you are sighting in at longer ranges and compensating for drop, you could be shooting over top the deer. Also, conversely, if you shoot at shorter ranges while sighting in, you could be shooting under the deer at longer ranges. -- give or take.

For me, I do not like shooting on the bench, as my shotgun kicks like a mule on steriods. ( Ithaca deerslayer & Winchester Partition gold slugs ) but on the tree stand, I'm comfortable and don't have a second thought about the kick.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:12 PM

Go out in the off season and set like your deer hunting. You get used to seeing them after awhile, sorta.
Set yardage markers around your stand. I use a 100' tape. I never shoot my bow more than 35 yards at a deer. My bow huntin buddies and I set tree stands in our yards to shoot out of. Coulpe of arrows a week out of season helps a lot. What ever your situation set it up to shoot from.
Shootng deer is the last ting to worry about, have fun first.
I completly missed a big buck this season, at 30 yards. Been bow hunting for over 20 yrs, it happens.
Practice, Practice, Pratice.................