Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Rifles in Illinois >

Rifles in Illinois

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Rifles in Illinois

Old 04-26-2021, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Smokeless MLs are legal in Illinois and can easy break 2800fps with a 275gr bullet. Seems to me you are concerned about the wrong method being used. My light weight rig is good for 2450fps with that bullet and weighs in ready to hunt at 7.6lbs. You can get close to the same thing by converting a cheap single shot 45-70 to a smokelss ML and get a little more speed. Why anyone would want to spend such a huge amount per shot on highend slugs when SMLs are legal is rather comical to me.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-26-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by midsouth_hunter
Been a while since been on this forum because of all the negativity from some. I hope Illinois stays away from the rifle hunts. As Rockport stated, Shotguns these days are essentially rifles with plastic case instead of brass. Another thing that should happen is keep the shotgun seasons as far away from the rut as possible. The numbers of deer killed in Illinois within a few days of shotgun season is as much or more that all of archery season.
so.....
Why's it matter if you're using a plastic case rifle or a rifle? Guess I'm not following.

-Jake
Old 04-30-2021, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I might as well add my two cents to this mix. IMHO there is nothing wrong with adding rifles to deer hunting in IL. And straight walled cartridges to boot. Those of you that are against this are only being selfish pure and simple. Just look at the firearm technology today. Any decent quality slug specific shotgun like a Savage 220 is easily capable of taking deer at 200 yards. Same with just about any inline muzzleloader. And either of these is much more efficient at it than a handgun cartridge like a 357, 44 or even a 454 at these ranges. Even a potent 45-70 is a slouch at 200 yards. I am of the opinion that those of you are against this because you don't want to see a couple more hunters in the woods. And anyway, a lot of these hunters would have been there using a previously legal firearm regardless. These couple extra hunters won't hurt the deer herd.
PA hunters have been trying for years to get the state to allow semi-auto rifles for big game. But those in office must have visions of woods filled with "Rambo" shooting everything that moves which is total nonsense.