Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Rifles in Illinois >

Rifles in Illinois

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Rifles in Illinois

Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Zim
This is a joke, right? Alabama??? See that big white hole in the bottom of the map? Do you even need to see the stats?
https://shop.qdma.com/boone-crockett...1996-2005.html
are you serious?? I STATED the PAST 10 yrs, your map doesn't even show this info?? its stops at 2005, and that is what 14 yrs before the time frame I have listed TWICE for you now??
can/do you READ your own info your posting!???

and again!
your still missing the point!
you must have a hard time in life!

there are MORE P&Y and B&C recorded bucks from AL in the past 10 yrs, FACT
than in the decades before
and they still use rifles and have insane long deer season and limits
is my point, which pokes holes in your worries!

and again, you are a trophy hunter, if you want trophy sized deer, GROW then on your own land and quit trying to THINK a game dept should do this for you, your NOT that special! LOL
goals of a game depot and your's are NOT and will NEVER be the same
SO< rather then CRY about things and refusing to hunt places
WHY not invest more time into finding places in states you wish to hunt and hunt PRIME lands, either you make them prime, or you gain access to places others have done the HARD work you seem to lack desire to do!
why do you think QDM even got to the point its at, its due to HUNTERS wanting to make places better for themselves, over what the state does for them!

I have been doing QDM, and building food plots JUST for deer since 1989, (was one of the white tail institutes first field tester in PA) and I have managed many lands for deer over the yrs and grew a lot of bucks that scored in the B&C numbers in states NOT known for BIG bucks too!

your fear of rifles is again SILLY< its not the weapon that makes the choice on what sized deer one takes! and your thinking a STATE game dept should manage for trophy's is again, never going to happen, trophy hunters are too small a percentage of the number of deer hunters in any state for them to do so!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Zim
Yes and you want to see the result of your state's two week, two buck rifle seasons? Take a gander............https://shop.qdma.com/boone-crockett...1996-2005.html See those big white areas..............the UP & northern Michigan?

I know several die hard trophy buck hunters who actually relocated from Michigan to Iowa permanently. They were just disgusted and gave up on the management.
yes if your that much of a DIE hard deer hunter, do the same thing then??

as your example is NOT helping you, your crying about things in your home state NO??
feel free to move to Iowa
and learn about group tag hunting!, how easy it is to gain access to PRIME land

I have friends that own a lot of land in Iowa! and I have also hunted there a few times myself!

I have also hunted places like Alberta Canada that is KNOWN for HUGE bucks, lots of B&C and P&Y, and guess what they too have a rifle season?? LOL
as well as many other places in Canada that also have huge bucks and again use rifles to hunt them!
Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely nothing has changed in neither Michigan nor Alabama for decades. They both have long rifle seasons in peak rut. The same is true for any other state as well. Long rifle seasons in peak rut have crappy buck quality and always will. Period.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Spike

Any update on this bill?
Old 05-11-2019, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by zmgsvt1
Any update on this bill?
Actions DateChamber Action 2/14/2019HouseFiled with the Clerk by Rep. Andrew S. Chesney 2/14/2019HouseFirst Reading 2/14/2019HouseReferred to Rules Committee 2/26/2019HouseAssigned to Agriculture & Conservation Committee 3/26/2019HouseDo Pass / Short Debate Agriculture & Conservation Committee; 012-000-000 3/29/2019HousePlaced on Calendar 2nd Reading - Short Debate 3/29/2019HouseAdded Co-Sponsor Rep. Monica Bristow 3/29/2019HouseAdded Co-Sponsor Rep. Lance Yednock 3/29/2019HouseAdded Co-Sponsor Rep. Michael Halpin 3/29/2019HouseAdded Co-Sponsor Rep. Tony McCombie 3/29/2019HouseAdded Co-Sponsor Rep. Dan Caulkins 3/29/2019HouseAdded Co-Sponsor Rep. Patrick Windhorst 4/10/2019HouseSecond Reading - Short Debate 4/10/2019HouseHeld on Calendar Order of Second Reading - Short Debate 4/12/2019HouseRule 19(a) / Re-referred to Rules Committee
Old 05-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe off point, but why bother adding a rifle season to IL?

I see no point, especially with modern slug guns going 100-200+ yards.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

the point is it allows a few more people that may prefer to use a rifle to hunt using their preferred firearm,
most shotguns and muzzle loaders are not particularly effective past about 100 yards
yes there are plenty of higher cost examples of both that can stretch the range rather effectively, but most that can do so are rather expensive.
and certainly allowing strait wall cartridges a and a few bottle neck cartridges, opens other opportunities.
yes its the hunter skill not the weapon, but expanding options is rarely bad for the sport member participation number and licences sold,
yes the dedicated hunters may bemoan the new inexperienced member participation, but everyone needs to start some place,
and increased participation results in more voters defending hunting and fire arm ownership
Old 05-14-2019, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

It allows the hunter more options

I have rifles now available for me to use in Ohio that perform "worse" than my dedicated slug gun.

My Mossberg 695 is a 150 yard gun. And would probably be a 200 yard gun if I wanted to spend the time and money to get it there.

I haven't shot some of my .44mags past 50 yards (they would be capable of 100 yards at least) but they wouldn't equal the 695 at 150 I'm pretty sure.

​​​​​It's not all about performance.

-Jake
Old 12-30-2020, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Maybe off point, but why bother adding a rifle season to IL?

For me that is exactly the point.

Why in the world should I continue paying $3-$4/shot for Remington to build straight wall rifle ammo out of plastic to do the same thing I can do with a 450 Bushmaster for $1/shot?

Arms companies defeated the whole point of only allowing shotguns years ago.

These are not "shotguns" we are shooting now, they are rifles with plastic cased straight wall rifle ammo. There is simply no point in continuing to do that and really hasn't been for a long time.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Been a while since been on this forum because of all the negativity from some. I hope Illinois stays away from the rifle hunts. As Rockport stated, Shotguns these days are essentially rifles with plastic case instead of brass. Another thing that should happen is keep the shotgun seasons as far away from the rut as possible. The numbers of deer killed in Illinois within a few days of shotgun season is as much or more that all of archery season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.