HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifles in Illinois
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 07:57 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Well I might as well add my two cents to this mix. IMHO there is nothing wrong with adding rifles to deer hunting in IL. And straight walled cartridges to boot. Those of you that are against this are only being selfish pure and simple. Just look at the firearm technology today. Any decent quality slug specific shotgun like a Savage 220 is easily capable of taking deer at 200 yards. Same with just about any inline muzzleloader. And either of these is much more efficient at it than a handgun cartridge like a 357, 44 or even a 454 at these ranges. Even a potent 45-70 is a slouch at 200 yards. I am of the opinion that those of you are against this because you don't want to see a couple more hunters in the woods. And anyway, a lot of these hunters would have been there using a previously legal firearm regardless. These couple extra hunters won't hurt the deer herd.
PA hunters have been trying for years to get the state to allow semi-auto rifles for big game. But those in office must have visions of woods filled with "Rambo" shooting everything that moves which is total nonsense.