Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Where should I buy? >

Where should I buy?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Where should I buy?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:23 PM
Spike

Default Where should I buy?

So, I'm just a 38 year old dumb cop from Chicago looking to get into hunting. I hunted twice while I was a Marine Corps recruiter stationed in Harrisburg, PA. Besides that, I have pretty much no experience. I have two boys under 5 who I would love to take hunting when the time is right. (This almost sounds like a personal ad)

Anyway, I am looking at purchasing some land and was hoping for a little guidance...

I'm looking at purchasing around 40 acres (i know its not a huge amount of land but land ain't cheap. LOL) . I'm hoping to clear about an acre or two for a small cabin, play in the remaining 40 during the spring and summer and hunt during the fall. I was originally looking at the UP. My concern with that, is after looking at the success rate in the UP via their DNR, and also the absence of doe tags (I know its all about the bucks, but for me, its also about the meat at the same time) I'm worried that, A) I'd come up dry more times than not, and B) when my sons are younger, they will either get bored with the lack of Bucks to shoot, or C) they will get bored of not being able to shoot anything (hence why I would like an area with doe tags).

I have started looking for the same size land in central WI. As you know the price of land there is about twice what it is in the UP. With all that being said (I know its such a long email, and if you took the time to read it all I truly aprecaite it), if you were looking at purchasing 40 acres, build small cabin/play/hunt and still have kids be able to have sucessfull hunt (regardless of doe or buck) which direction would you go? Also, from reading ur site and watching ur videos, I know for the most part what to look for, but is there anything I should stay away from, ie. mostly low lands, all agg lands with minimal forest?

Again, thanks for reading this if you made it all the way through and I hope to hear from someone soon.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Its about money and how far you want to drive.

I believe souther areas of UP are still issueing doe tags. Though shooting does with bow has been suspended.

UP is a longer drive, which is a factor for most.

40 arces is plenty, if right spot. I have 40, bordered by national forest. I do some casual hunting at my house with only 5 acres. But houses are far away, and neighbors are not hunting, right on border. Which could change.

But much of UP is snowbelt, and not great deer country. Much of northern WI can be tought too. Farm country has more deer.

Is there an area you have spent time at and like?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Berserker
Its about money and how far you want to drive.

I believe souther areas of UP are still issueing doe tags. Though shooting does with bow has been suspended.

UP is a longer drive, which is a factor for most.

40 arces is plenty, if right spot. I have 40, bordered by national forest. I do some casual hunting at my house with only 5 acres. But houses are far away, and neighbors are not hunting, right on border. Which could change.

But much of UP is snowbelt, and not great deer country. Much of northern WI can be tought too. Farm country has more deer.

Is there an area you have spent time at and like?
I haven't spent any time there... My wifes grandmother loved in Marquette. I've looked around and like Houghton/Baraga and Menominee (which has tags but no land for sale...)

As far as WI... depending on where is it, it could be almost the same drive as southern Marquette.

I'll be honest, I want somewhere where I can get away from Chicago, relax and let my Boyd ride dirt bikes and play, and then come time, hunt and eat some deer... I know by looking at the forecasts and what not, the place for that is the lower third of WI... and with that, come twice the price as the UP... was just hoping for some optimism.... LOL
Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Deer hunting Michigans UP is tough these days. It has goten pretty bad since they reinterduced thr wolves too.
A few years of hard winters with lots of snow have not helped either.
My area the coyotes have gotten bad can kill at least two per day hunting deer there. Some time even more.

I would stick with central Wisconsin my self if deer hunting was important, maybe reduce the land size from 40 to 20 acres.

I fire arm deer hunt 10 acres in SE Michigan and do not have any problems.
Just research the property before you buy, Make sure there is lots of wood lot or all wood lot on a 20 acre plot with deer signs.

Al
Old 10-06-2017, 06:01 AM
JW
Super Moderator

1. Figure your maximum driving distance and double it. This is the time traveling and not relaxing.
Trust me you'll put on alot of miles.

Then start looking at some areas. Visit with realtors and go from there.

3 hours one way was about how much time I wanted spend in my truck.
And remember, holiday traffic sucks as well as bad weather.

JW
Old 10-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Semper Fi to the OP and you've been given some good advice. Not asking questions or doing research would be dumb. Stay safe.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

check out Clark and Jackson Counties in west central wi land is still reasonable--you always get more than what you pay for as a heck of a lot of county and state land in this area, I own 40 acres and am surrounded by 20,000 acres county land, Plus a huge artv snowmobile trail is in the area and lakes,, Check it out
Old 10-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Southern UP is better deer hunting. Houghton and Marquette areas in the snowbelt.

I hunt the snowbelt, and get deer most years. But nothing special. 6 last year. Not going to get doe tags for a bit.

I think the herd will be way up this year. Lots of fawn. But need a couple more mild winters.

Wolves eat deer, but in my opinions, its the winter that is the issue. We had 3 bad winters, last two have been mild.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

2009 I think it was, was 50s for deer season. People blamed their lack of success on wolves. Rather than understand it was hot out. Southern WI, poor results too.

But wolves are a handy to have, other wise you would have to find another excuse.

I want them hunted. But when I lived in Menominee county I wanted them. Hit so many deer over the year.

Trophy bucks in Canada.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Lots of people do not hunt their own land, but public. Lots of people just have a few acres for their camp. Though it helps to know the area when going this route, to know where to buy. Most of the people I know, do not hunt at the camp. But also far north wher lots of land, and few people.

I suggest vacation and travelling around. Go 4 wheeling, stay at different towns. Look at classifieds.

I was looking at places all over UP and WI. Ended up in a different area after a bike trip, and liking the area. I am from UP, but just never thouht of that area alot. Was looking more in southern UP for deer.

But in what you are willing to pay, and just start looking at ads across WI and UP. See what you will get for your money in what areas. That may steer you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.