Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
New frustrated hunter in IL >

New frustrated hunter in IL

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

New frustrated hunter in IL

Old 11-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Spike

Default New frustrated hunter in IL

Hey guys and gals,

Let me first start out by introducing myself. My name is Joe and i'm 27. This year is (hopefully) going to be my first year going out deer hunting. I have family out in the quad cities area (Atkinson) and i'm hoping to find some hunting spots out that way

I'm seeming to have a lot of problems finding a place to hunt. I had a place lined up that i was going to next weekend to hunt but I found out monday they they dont allow shotgun. It's family land that i thought they owned but turned out to be that they rent from someone and they only allow archery. I spent a ton of money getting ready for this hunt and i'm trying to find a place to go. I have 2 full season tags for Henry county but being that i don't come from a hunting family everything is new to me.

Just wondering how/where you guys find spots to go to. I feel like i'm making this out to be more difficult than it needs to be lol. Public land kinda scares me only for the fact that since i'm new i'm intimidated and dont want to be "that guy". I'm not new to guns but i've never hunted anything.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buy a crossbow, sight it in, go shoot a deer.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Buy a crossbow, sight it in, go shoot a deer.
lol isn't crossbow only like a 1 day hunt? and buying another gun/bow is out of the question lol. Already got everything set up for shotgun haha
Old 11-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Spike

I'm also in the QC area and I have had problems finding land. I have a few farms I have access to but you may want to check out state parks like rockwood in Morrison or other areas. Best advice I can give you. Public land is the easiest to find you just may have to share once in a while.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BurninHot
I'm also in the QC area and I have had problems finding land. I have a few farms I have access to but you may want to check out state parks like rockwood in Morrison or other areas. Best advice I can give you. Public land is the easiest to find you just may have to share once in a while.
Thanks for your reply. I have access to 3 farms w/ tree stands but they are all the same owner and only allow archery. Maybe next year i'll have to buy a bow lol. I might have to resort to using public land. Just gotta find some in Henry county. I was planning on heading up there this past monday to set up a blind but thats when i found out it's archery only. I leave saturday for work and come back thursday. I dont really have many days to scope out a spot anymore lol.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

You have now found the reality of finding private property to hunt without selling your firstborn child throughout much of the country. Is there any chance you can explain your predicament to the property owner such that he might let you use your shotgun this one season since it is for a very limited time period? Short of that I guess you need to find some public land that you'll end up sharing with others like millions of other folks have to do if they want to hunt. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Spike

Woah flags, that's kinda rushing it. Buy a BOW sight it in, and go shoot a deer. Archery season is always longer, and you should find some public hunting ground if it comes to that.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MattAZ12908bow243
Woah flags, that's kinda rushing it. Buy a BOW sight it in, and go shoot a deer. Archery season is always longer, and you should find some public hunting ground if it comes to that.
Unless you are card carrying handicap or 62 years or older you can't crossbow until after the 2nd firearm season. So just running out and getting a crossbow probably doesn't solve the problem.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Joe5688
Hey guys and gals,

Let me first start out by introducing myself. My name is Joe and i'm 27. This year is (hopefully) going to be my first year going out deer hunting. I have family out in the quad cities area (Atkinson) and i'm hoping to find some hunting spots out that way

I'm seeming to have a lot of problems finding a place to hunt. I had a place lined up that i was going to next weekend to hunt but I found out monday they they dont allow shotgun. It's family land that i thought they owned but turned out to be that they rent from someone and they only allow archery. I spent a ton of money getting ready for this hunt and i'm trying to find a place to go. I have 2 full season tags for Henry county but being that i don't come from a hunting family everything is new to me.

Just wondering how/where you guys find spots to go to. I feel like i'm making this out to be more difficult than it needs to be lol. Public land kinda scares me only for the fact that since i'm new i'm intimidated and dont want to be "that guy". I'm not new to guns but i've never hunted anything.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Here's a link for you of all the state access lands in NW Illinois region 1. I don't know why but in the descriptions for each of them some tell you the county and most don't. STOOOPID.

If you can't find somethin in Henry county just remember there are still many firearm permits available over the counter. Just be sure if a state area you intend to hunt requires only a county permit or a site specific permit. Here is IDNR link that shows the reported harvests from years past to give you an idea of the hunting in specific areas.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...stReports.aspx

No reason all should be lost.

Last edited by uncle matt; 11-11-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You have now found the reality of finding private property to hunt without selling your firstborn child throughout much of the country. Is there any chance you can explain your predicament to the property owner such that he might let you use your shotgun this one season since it is for a very limited time period? Short of that I guess you need to find some public land that you'll end up sharing with others like millions of other folks have to do if they want to hunt. Good luck!
Yeah i thought i was gonna be lucky and have access to proven spots where no one goes but i guess that went down the drain lol.

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Here's a link for you of all the state access lands in NW Illinois region 1. I don't know why but in the descriptions for each of them some tell you the county and most don't. STOOOPID.

If you can't find somethin in Henry county just remember there are still many firearm permits available over the counter. Just be sure if a state area you intend to hunt requires only a county permit or a site specific permit. Here is IDNR link that shows the reported harvests from years past to give you an idea of the hunting in specific areas.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...stReports.aspx

No reason all should be lost.
I was looking at this list but like you said it's dumb that they dont show which county it is in lol. My only issue is i'm so pressed for time that i dont know if i'm going to be able to get out this year. I was relying on this spot so i didn't look else where and like i said i'm traveling til thursday and i was going to go striahgt out to my familys farm and hunt the weekend. I leave sunday again for work so i only really had friday and saturday.

I'll keep u guys updated if i find anything lol. Thanks for all the help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.