Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Kane County Illinois/Camp Tomo Chi Chi Knolls >

Kane County Illinois/Camp Tomo Chi Chi Knolls

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Kane County Illinois/Camp Tomo Chi Chi Knolls

Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Kane County Illinois/Camp Tomo Chi Chi Knolls

Anybody familiar with this area near Gilberts, IL? This is the first year it is open for hunting, and today I drew the first bow season Oct 1 - Nov 16. Whole unit to myself.

I never drive around there, but the land around it is very open cropland surrounded by roads, including I-90. So I am wondering if anyone here has driven by and seen any good bucks.

Did scout all of Freeman Kame across the road from it last year, but was unimpressed. I had plans to hunt public downstate this rut, but curious if I should seriously consider spending it at Camp Tomo. I do love the fact nobody can else can screw up my hunt. Had some major problems with that last year. Thanks.

Last edited by Zim; 08-23-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zim, I have to say that I am excited for you. I looked it up on Google maps and looked at the aerials and Topos and I think its going to be spectacular. It looks like a large chunk of woods in a land of Ag. I bet you those deer hang out in the ag all summer long and once the the crops are gone they are going to congregate in the woods. I saw a few really good saddles and some nice elevation changes. Plus, there are a few good pinch points between those Lakes. I'll try to look a little more in depth at it later but I think you are super lucky to be the first one to hunting this land. I have a feeling a good buck is going down there with that great land and your skill!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

fastetti, It's hard to say for me because it's only 260 acres of cover surrounded by wide open ground. I don't know how thick it is for good cover, nor if much of it is secluded where a mature buck would like. And there does not appear to be any cover connecting to adjacent woodlots. It's an island. I've seen similar properties that did hold nice bucks, but many that just did not offer enough security. Of course during the rut the bucks will cruise in and out of such a place, but I'd have to commit to it with only a 2 week peak window.

Sure wish I could scout the place and see some nice rubs to confirm things, but that likely won't happen because I am leaving for a Wyoming elk hunt the first day we are allowed to scout it, Sept. 7th. I guess I could stay here one day before departing? I'll have to find out if we'll be allowed to hang stands in advance. Doesn't say in the regs.