Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Corn Fed Midwest Deer >

Corn Fed Midwest Deer

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Corn Fed Midwest Deer

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Spike

Default Corn Fed Midwest Deer

I am new to the private land corn fed deer land type. I have hunted in upper michigan all deep woods deer prior now hunting acres and acres of farm land in wisconsin, any advice to a new bow hunter hunting fresh land. Not used to this type of pressure or open areas. HELP!!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have any arial map if the area (roads and such blacked out)? If its flat land, I find that wooded funnels between ag fields are a great bet. Also, locate the bedding areas of both bucks and does and try to hunt the outer edges of those using the wind to your favor. A lot of people set up on field edges waiting for the deer to come out into the fields. I did that for a long time but then learned that the bigger bucks use the woods to travel and most likely come out into the fields until after dark. Find a good wooded travel corridor and set up a few cameras and you'll learn a lot pretty quick.

The first few times out hunting, don't think of it as 100% hunting, think of it as hunting and scouting as well. Look for where the deer are moving, directions they are coming from and wind direction and you will be able to learn pretty quick.

I have basically moved off of ag fields for buck hunting. The majority of my stands are now on travel corridors in from ag fields trying to get bucks staging before they head out under nightfall.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have great success!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Spike

Thanks for the tips, my first bet would have been to watch the edge of fields ill be sure to do as much research with cameras as much as i can. a lot of my deep woods experience for deer is so much different than what ive already noticed from one gun season last year, looking forward to my first season bow
Old 07-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fastetti
Do you have any arial map if the area (roads and such blacked out)? If its flat land, I find that wooded funnels between ag fields are a great bet. Also, locate the bedding areas of both bucks and does and try to hunt the outer edges of those using the wind to your favor. A lot of people set up on field edges waiting for the deer to come out into the fields. I did that for a long time but then learned that the bigger bucks use the woods to travel and most likely come out into the fields until after dark. Find a good wooded travel corridor and set up a few cameras and you'll learn a lot pretty quick.

The first few times out hunting, don't think of it as 100% hunting, think of it as hunting and scouting as well. Look for where the deer are moving, directions they are coming from and wind direction and you will be able to learn pretty quick.

I have basically moved off of ag fields for buck hunting. The majority of my stands are now on travel corridors in from ag fields trying to get bucks staging before they head out under nightfall.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have great success!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Figure out how they travel and then set up down wind and ambush them. If the corn is still stand I wont even bother looking for bedding areas, because its not uncommon to see areas where the deer have just laid down in the middle of the corn and munched away all day. More than once I spooked big ones bedding down in the middle of corn or beans.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great advice guys. A+ info. I also really appreciate this forum. Most always someone here that's willing to share. I have hunted all my life & still learn a lot here, gather many tips by reading the posts, and asking questions when I want others advice. GREAT STUFF!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
Great advice guys. A+ info. I also really appreciate this forum. Most always someone here that's willing to share. I have hunted all my life & still learn a lot here, gather many tips by reading the posts, and asking questions when I want others advice. GREAT STUFF!
Completely agree! I am by no means an expert whitetail hunter, but I am always open to share my advice and willing to learn too. I try and soak in information from a few sites on the internet and I can tell you, I took some tips last year off the internet and scored on some great bucks. It seems like alot of these topics turn into arguments but I try to be a positive influence on this site and not one of the negative people who bash people. We hunt because its fun, we should keep it that way!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rivers and creeks are awesome natural funnels. Plus you can walk them and sooner or later you will find a major crossing. That is a perfect spot that you can slam a bunch of deer either following the river/creek or crossing it.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know how much timber you have to hunt along your ag fields but I like to find the travel routes and set up where the bucks will stage before they head to feed. This could be pretty far off the field edge but it is a great ambush spot. Try to put up trail cameras to pin point these areas.
Also if you must hunt field edges try to find the corners of the fields where two sections of timber form an L shape or curve. Another thing to look at is the crop harvest here in Central IL harvest probably won't start until the last week of Sept. and harvet is usually 8-10 weeks. So you may have to adjust your plans according to when your land is harvested.