Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Bow Hunting Champaign, IL area >

Bow Hunting Champaign, IL area

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Bow Hunting Champaign, IL area

Old 10-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Spike

Default Bow Hunting Champaign, IL area

I want to buy a bow and start bow hunting next fall. But, being new to bows, I know very little. And am on a budget. Hoping someone in the area can hook me up with some knowledge, where to buy a good beginner bow (cheap hopefully!), where i can practice, etc.

Got married, had a baby, and moved to the area, so I don't know too many people up here, otherwise I wouldn't have to ask on here lol
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

krisko,

Go to the best archery pro shop in Champaign and get sized up for draw length, and get an idea of what weight you can handle. Write the results down, then go home and start shopping online for a good quality used bow. There is no product on the market that loses it's value quicker than bows. This is due to fast evolving technology, but more so perceived value. You'll save 50-60% going this route, and can likely get a 2009 or 2010 bow. In my opinion the best resale marketplace is the Archery Talk For Sale Forum. And it is huge. Another good option is ebay.

It's probably best to find out what your budget is, and what bows were the best sellers in 09 & 10. You can find that out by Googling. You are safe if you stick to the most polular models from companies like Bowtech (or RedHead which is generic BT) or Hoyt.

As to public land, there's not too much down your way. Depends on how far you can drive. Vermillion County is not too bad.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Spike

Yeah i've been trying to make the time to go in to blue ridge back woods in monticello. There's not much for bow shops in champaign.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Spike

Go see Cole at Hunters Haven on Bloomington Rd in Champaign. He is extremely knowledgeable in the archery field and has a selection of used and new bows and can answer any questions you might have. Check out Clinton Lake Public land there is hundreds of acres over there and if you can get over there during the week you will find you will have the place to yourself alot. Weekends not so much. Hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jasons8387
Go see Cole at Hunters Haven on Bloomington Rd in Champaign. He is extremely knowledgeable in the archery field and has a selection of used and new bows and can answer any questions you might have. Check out Clinton Lake Public land there is hundreds of acres over there and if you can get over there during the week you will find you will have the place to yourself alot. Weekends not so much. Hope that helps.
I've seen that building down there but just assumed it was closed down. Have never heard anything about it rly. But i'll look in to it for sure. Thanks alot!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Spike

The is their old location on Prospect. They just recently moved to Bloomington Rd next to the Carpet One Building only a minute or so away from the old location. Theyve got an indoor archery range as well to try out some shooting.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Spike

Clinton lake is your closest spot for public area to archery hunt. Been there many years and some real good opportunities exist but so do other hunters it is no secret by no means. Best bet there is be willing to get off the beaten path for best success. Vermillion county has some areas also and it is not much further to go that direction for some nice deer. Hunters haven is a nice place to get started they also have some used equipment for sale. Indoor range is ok , still take the time to go to Blue Ridge in monticello so you see what is available in the area.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Buck Terminator
Clinton lake is your closest spot for public area to archery hunt. Been there many years and some real good opportunities exist but so do other hunters it is no secret by no means. Best bet there is be willing to get off the beaten path for best success. Vermillion county has some areas also and it is not much further to go that direction for some nice deer. Hunters haven is a nice place to get started they also have some used equipment for sale. Indoor range is ok , still take the time to go to Blue Ridge in monticello so you see what is available in the area.
Yeah, everyone mentions clinton which is why i kind of don't want to go there. I'd rather drive an extra 20minutes and not have to worry about other hunters every50 yards
Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clinton isn't as bad as it seems. If your willing to walk further than 1/4 mile your golden. Lots of good deer there if you scout around. I hunted there religiously for 9 years before my job took me to Utah. Down sides to Clinton is that you can't leave a stand up, so you will need a climber or hunt off the ground. And you gotta shoot a Doe first, which helps the overall management. I am coming back to hunt Oct 29-Nov 5th though, and that's where I am going.
Hunters Haven is ok in a pinch. But i'd never let them work on your bow once you upgrade.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted Middle Fork in Vermilion County and I really enjoyed it. Just get online and look at the park maps then try and scout alittle so you have an idea where you want to go. Like most public hunting ground the best spots are usually the hardest to get to and off the main roads. http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt.../r3/middle.htm

I would also look at dicks sporting goods. They have some good starter bows at modest prices. But my advice would be to shop around. hit up blue ridge, dicks, and hunters haven and see who will do the best for you. If you buy at blue ridge I know they usually throw in range time so that would help you get set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.