Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio Crops?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Spike

Default Ohio Crops?

My kid brother and I are headed out to the Wooster area on Oct 13th. We are curious as to the status of the crops. We hear about the drought but have nobody out there we keepn touch with. Did the beans do ok and is the corn going to be standing still. An help would be appreciated.
Dennis
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 AM
foo
Spike

Can't speak for Wooster area, but the crops around Dayton, Springfield, Greenville got hit pretty bad, the ears look like maybe 50 to 60% of normal size, they are taking most the corn down now, beans are still up. The corn that is still up is only about 5ft tall, 3ft to 4ft on the edges of the fields. I am seeing deer feeding in the bean fields morning and afternoon, not so many in the evening. Southeastern Ohio got more rain, and the crops look normal. Foo
Old 09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Spike

Foo thanks for the info. I was beginning to think hunters were not into helping eachother out anymore. Good Luck this season
Old 09-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Crpos around Southwest Ohio took a hit!

Forget the corn...it was burned up hardly any ears formed. The Soybeans did far better although they are now turning yellow in some areas. We are now about 8 inches below normal on rain fall. I think the northern portion of Ohio faired a little better. Hope this helps.

CVG Ohio
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM
foo
Spike

25 Sept, they are taking the corn down here Springfield, beans mostly up. I heard that around Wooster, was the driest in OH,but 15miles SE was the wettest? Bow season opens this weekend,but it's still to warm. Foo
Old 09-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Spike

Foo thanks for the info. We are coming in on the 13th so hopefully it will cool down a bit by then. We have not had a bad trip in the last 6 years. Always a blast to see as many deer as we do. Here in NH you could sit the whole bow season and only see a handfull of deer.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:31 PM
foo
Spike

Default ohio crops

The deer are starting to move more at around 6.30 pm, they seem to be on there feet in the late afternoon after 5pm. Dry and 55 today, tomorrow windy and then wet Sunday, and 70 suppose to be a low pressure move through Sat with lots of wind, I've had my best luck hunting these storm fronts as they pass through. Good Luck Foo
Old 10-28-2012, 08:05 AM
foo
Spike

Default Ohio crops

I've been out my stands for the last 3 mornings, the deer are really starting to move, bunch of new scrapes. The cams wee have out are showing a lot of buck movement between 2 am and daylite, and some daytime movement from the young bucks. We only have 3 or 4 shots of the big boys so far. This morning does were in the hayfields from 8am til about 9:30 feeding. The storm front seems to have turned them on, we haven't seen any bucks chasing yet but it's close. Most about 90% of the standing corn is cut and 60 to 70% of the beans are are cut here in southwestern ohio. Good luck Foo