Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Clinton Lake State Park Turkey Hunting >

Clinton Lake State Park Turkey Hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Clinton Lake State Park Turkey Hunting

Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Spike

Default Clinton Lake State Park Turkey Hunting

Anyone ever hunt turkey down at Clinton Lake state park? I am going down there 5th season which is middle of May and wondering if anyone has any advice on the location this is going to be my first time hunting there. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Use decoys in the firebreaks. I prefer late season. The toms are not henned up and are often aggressive if they see a lone hen decoy.

Last edited by Zim; 04-24-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Spike

What do you mean by the firebreaks are they located all around the park or is there an area I should try and concentrate on? The first time I am going to be there to scout is going to be the day before I hunt so any help is appreciated.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you need to mention what state you are in, I know of Clinton Lakes in Illinois, Iowa and Kansas and I believe all have some sort of State Park area.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:06 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wysocki22
What do you mean by the firebreaks are they located all around the park or is there an area I should try and concentrate on? The first time I am going to be there to scout is going to be the day before I hunt so any help is appreciated.
These are cleared lanes around the public/private borders in many places there. Walk these lanes and look for sandy clear old field type areas with tom tracks. They are often on the highest elevation. Once you find one of these spots set up a decoy and sit tight, calling every 30 minutes. The late season birds will often come in silent. I have been using a blind more often late season for this type hunting. It has a few advantages: Better protection from ticks which will be out with warmer weather; Less likely to get spotted moving by a silently approaching tom; Protection should it rain.