Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
ichigan Firearms Opening Week >

ichigan Firearms Opening Week

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

ichigan Firearms Opening Week

Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default ichigan Firearms Opening Week

What a horrible week! Deer activity and numbers seem to be way down this year. Usually by the first weekend our camp has several hanging from the meat pole, yet this year not a single shot fired. Most shots in the area were heard opening day before 10AM. Buck pole in town was about 1/3 as full as the last 2 seasons openers. Talked to several friends and co-workers who hunt various areas around the state including 1 group in the UP and all are seeing the same thing, low success rates and low number of deer sightings. Bow season on our property was pretty good with sightings almost every sit, with several different bucks seen by all.

How has evryone else faired so far this year? I hope the DNR gets their act together and figures out we need something like "Earn a Buck" or some form of antler restriction. Most bucks I have seen during the 2+ hour drive across US10 and down I75 were small spikes or 3-4 points. Only seen one good buck and he was a small 10 point. Only know of 4 "wall hangers" taken by or near people I know throughout the state.

Sad start, hopefully activity picks up next week. Way less hunters seen in the woods this year. Heard rumors that the license sales wer down almost 200,000 but have not confirmed.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, fat fingers! Should have read Michigan.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

I do not hunt in Michigan....but I am having the same issue in SW Ohio.....NO deer sightings the last few days....not sure what is going on....bucks should be cruising looking for esterous does.....not happening in my neck of the woods!!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Sat 3 more day over the holiday weekend and only saw 12 deer, either not in range or button bucks so no shots fired. Out of 6 people hunting our property, only 1 doe was shot on Thanksgiving evening, that was our gun seasonhere in the Mitten.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted just the first day in Mich and it was very sad the amount of shots I heard. The DNR needs to shorten some of these seasons. A buck has to make it through over 3 months of seasons. Now with cross bows and modern muzzleloaders !!!!Ehhhh! I consider myself lucky to be able to hunt out of state. Anybody want to buy a 40 acre parcel?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default tagged out....

I tagged out a week before firearm, I usually do, as do most people I know. There were some very nice bucks taken. A lot of the problem with the beginning of firearm is that a army of hunters crash the woods all at the same time. Another issue is there are a lot of hunters that tend to "scout" the weekend before, and when I say "scout", they go out walking around looking for a place to hunt. More and more hunters either don't have the time to properly 'scout" pre-season, or don't "take" the time. Many a season I'll be in my treestand in the hottest time of the pre-rut, just to have a 'gaggle" of "hunters" walking around in a group looking for a set-up for gun. Sad but true. Good luck!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 AM
Spike

It was good here in Clinton county. Lots of shots and 4 deer down on our property in 3 days. Saw 10-12 bucks this season 8pt w a 15" spread or larger including a monster 12 a really nice 12 and a 10. Later 12 got hit on the high way had 21" spread and 8" brows neighbor shot a 8 with a 23" spread. The big one is still out there. I hit a nice buck with my bow but he ducked and I high shouldered him (still sick about that!) and had a couple nice 8's off our property. And I say NO to earn a buck. My cousin lives in Wisconsin and hated it. It's great in theory until you have to watch a dream buck walk because you haven't shot a doe. I say antler restrictions, later gun season an higher out of state tag fees with a lottery.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by tight360
I tagged out a week before firearm, I usually do, as do most people I know. There were some very nice bucks taken. A lot of the problem with the beginning of firearm is that a army of hunters crash the woods all at the same time. Another issue is there are a lot of hunters that tend to "scout" the weekend before, and when I say "scout", they go out walking around looking for a place to hunt. More and more hunters either don't have the time to properly 'scout" pre-season, or don't "take" the time. Many a season I'll be in my treestand in the hottest time of the pre-rut, just to have a 'gaggle" of "hunters" walking around in a group looking for a set-up for gun. Sad but true. Good luck!
Agreed! On our property if you don't have everything set up by august 1st tough s***. I usually have my stands up in April.