Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Clinton Lake Kansas Public Hunting >

Clinton Lake Kansas Public Hunting

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Clinton Lake Kansas Public Hunting

Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Spike

Default Clinton Lake Kansas Public Hunting

I live in Lawrence, Ks near Clinton Lake and have been doing some spring scouting for deer, food sources etc. So far I've stumbled across one hunter and a blind on the first two trips I took. A couple questions/thoughts. Is it a practical idea to use my trail cameras? I don't like the idea of hunting an area without knowing what's there but I also don't want my cameras stolen. Thoughts? Also I've used supplements/attractants in the past. Should I skip that as well so someone else doesn't hunt on my dollars and time? Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gonzo, I'm a fellow Jayhawk from Chicago and hunted Clinton Lake A LOT when I was there. I'm lucky to have a good memory and mainly upland game hunted there but was able to get out my last year with my rifle and take a nice doe. If I had the knowledge and experience (and a little more time from classes!) I would have been a lot more successful. Plus, I wasn't a bow hunter back then. There are some BIG bucks that are on that land. I saw some monsters while I would rabbit and quail hunt but was never able to connect with a gun.

Clinton does get a decent amount of traffic. Some areas get hit harder than others. I know some spots that I hunted rarely got any hunting traffic while others did. It did depend on where you were and how far from the road you are.

If I were you, I'd place the cameras about 10 feet in the air (maybe climb a few branches) and have them facing down towards the trails. Hunters rarely look up in the woods. I'd keep them away from open fields due to the upland game hunters but in the woods I suspect you would be OK.

If you need and advice on spots I'd be happy to share the ones that worked for me. I'd have to check out a map to refresh my memory but I still remember my prime rabbit and pheasant spots as well as where I would see a lot of my deer. I doubt much has changed out there in the last 8 years.

I was also wondering if the wild marijuana still grows out there on Clinton. When I would dove hunt in the fall I would stumble on it everywhere. That stuff isn't my cup of tea but I couldnt believe how often I'd be walking and smell and find it everywhere. Quite weird.

Let me know if you need any help with locations or anything else out there. Id be happy to share and good luck! Rockchalk Jayhawk!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by fastetti
Gonzo, I'm a fellow Jayhawk from Chicago and hunted Clinton Lake A LOT when I was there. I'm lucky to have a good memory and mainly upland game hunted there but was able to get out my last year with my rifle and take a nice doe. If I had the knowledge and experience (and a little more time from classes!) I would have been a lot more successful. Plus, I wasn't a bow hunter back then. There are some BIG bucks that are on that land. I saw some monsters while I would rabbit and quail hunt but was never able to connect with a gun.

Clinton does get a decent amount of traffic. Some areas get hit harder than others. I know some spots that I hunted rarely got any hunting traffic while others did. It did depend on where you were and how far from the road you are.

If I were you, I'd place the cameras about 10 feet in the air (maybe climb a few branches) and have them facing down towards the trails. Hunters rarely look up in the woods. I'd keep them away from open fields due to the upland game hunters but in the woods I suspect you would be OK.

If you need and advice on spots I'd be happy to share the ones that worked for me. I'd have to check out a map to refresh my memory but I still remember my prime rabbit and pheasant spots as well as where I would see a lot of my deer. I doubt much has changed out there in the last 8 years.

I was also wondering if the wild marijuana still grows out there on Clinton. When I would dove hunt in the fall I would stumble on it everywhere. That stuff isn't my cup of tea but I couldnt believe how often I'd be walking and smell and find it everywhere. Quite weird.

Let me know if you need any help with locations or anything else out there. Id be happy to share and good luck! Rockchalk Jayhawk!
i am 15 and i am new to deer hunting can you give some good placesw to hunt