Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Wisconsin ML Season Starts 11-30-09 and need som help >

Wisconsin ML Season Starts 11-30-09 and need som help

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin ML Season Starts 11-30-09 and need som help

Old 11-28-2009, 04:02 PM
OCD
Spike

Default Wisconsin ML Season Starts 11-30-09 and need som help

OK everyone this is my 1st ML season in SE Wisconsin. I have always hunted during the gun season but never the ML season.

Any help or advice would really help seeing I am new to this season. I will be hunting the same land as I did during gun season which I did not see any deer, rubs, or scrapes on the land. I did see a lot of tracks, but no deer. I have 3 stands set up on the land. One of them is in the woods on the north side of the land facing the corn field about 50 yards in but I can see the field well and it looks like a good deer trail about 30 to 40 yards in front of my stand that goes through the woods to the south. The other stand ins in the same woods but to the south and once again facing the south corn field about 30 to 40 yards in which I can see the field well.

My last stand is south of the 2nd stand in the woods facing a creek and to the south of that about 80 yards behind the creek is tall prairie grass where there are a lot of trails coming towards the creek. You can see where the deer have been crossing the creek which is about 50 yards from my stand and it looks like the deer turn left once they cross the creek and head towards the fields towards my 2nd stand which is in the woods.

I have hunted at all diffrent times of the day and have spent 5 to 7 hours in my stands and with no luck.

All of my stands are at least 14' up the tree and I have good cover on all of them.

The farmer that leases the land did tell me he has seen 2 small bucks a few doe's but noting the last few weeks.

Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by OCD; 11-29-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know where you hunt, but I think you will be in for slim pickens. There are'nt as many deer this year, as last. I see NO deer since gun season on our land.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
OCD
Spike

Default Done deer hunting

Now that I have spent the last 12 years in the woods during gun season and only harvesting one deer I have realized it is time to give up deer hunting period. I it is just not worth it anymore.

The only great thing about it was I was able to see my son harvest his 1st deer which was worth every dime I spent and freezing my but off over the years. Just to see the excitement on his face made it a great day for a dad. He was hooked on deer hunting after that but after the last 2 years he has lost all interest in deer hunting. When you hunt with the same guys on the same land they have been hunting on for over 30 years and only see on deer in the past 12 years it just down right sucks.

I even tried other land this year with the smae results.

We are just going to stick with Turkey, Phesant, and small game from now on.

It is really sad to see the decline in deer hunting in Wisconsin.

VERY DISAPPOINTED WISCONSIN TAX PAYER!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

When I hunted muzzle loader season, where I hunt we usually have snow (northern wisconsin). My favorite is a windy snowy day. Put the wind in your face, find a fresh track in the snow and start stalking it. Look for them in their beds as if it is snowing and windy they will often times lay up.

Other wise hunt their trails. Look for bedding areas and where they go to feed. Hunt according to the time of day. Also with a muzzle loader you need to close the distance. I prefer ground hunting in muzzleloader season. Get some place, sit down, get quiet and watch an area where the deer travel.

Good luck. The numbers from this year do not look too good.