Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Ohio deer activity >

Ohio deer activity

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio deer activity

Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Spike

Default Ohio deer activity

Anyone seeing any good bucks during daylight hours or any rutting activity?

I saw a couple decent 110"-120" deer in the past couple days but thats about it. Deer havent seemed to be moving well lately.
Also, is it just me or is everyone else noticing hunting ground disappearing and lots of hunters movin in? In the past 5 years i have lost plenty of property that was sold and built on, or logged out and the property I used to have sole permission to now has hunters all over it.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Spike

Lots of out of state outfitters are coming into our area and buying up leases. Makes it hard for locals without deep pockets to hunt. One thing I was told, and I don't know if it is true or not is that once the land is leased, the owner can then be held liable for someone being hurt on it. If he lets a hunter hunt without paying for it, he is held harmless if a hunter is hurt. Don't know if it is true or not though.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Spike

Hey Immel . . .I am new to the thread but am hunting central Ohio. I have been out three nights for a few hours the last few weeks. Last week I got nailed to my stand by three does right at dark. A small racked big bodied buck approached them with agleam in is eye, but was quickly chased away a few minutes later by a much larger buck . . . whoe was rejected. Too dark to shoot. The day before I saw a 6 pointer about 4:30 and passed. Didn't hunt overf the weekend ( a old honey do list) but will be out every evening and morning for the next 10 days and all day on Saturday and Sunday, But like you I think rutting activity might be down a bit with the warm weather. I'll let the thread know what I encounter . I am holding out for a larger buck. There is always gun season.

As for hunting land, I was out of the game for several years after moving from NM. Hunting ground is sacred in Clark County and extemely difficult to come by. I have never hunted public ground but believe with enough effort, decent ground can be found. But glad I don;t have to look .. . Good luck.

Crash