Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Wisconsin Survey Pertaining to Deer Proposals >

Wisconsin Survey Pertaining to Deer Proposals

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Survey Pertaining to Deer Proposals

Old 10-23-2009, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with you on this roundhead. My son is 11 and I took him deer hunting for his first time. Well hes been out with us but this is the very first time hes had full control of the gun. He loved it! Even though we didnt see anything we got to spend that time together. He shot the old 20g perfectly fine. It helped that he took an advanced pellet gun course so he does know the rules of gun safety. He will be taking Hunters Ed next year and will be gunho to go back out. Ill probably take him out a few times this year yet as part as the mentor program. Kids are the back bone of hunting. If we want to keep it part of our heritage we need to get the kids involved. I know my dad couldnt wait for to hunt with him. He enrolled me and my younger brother both in hunters ed and took us out that same year.
I dont agree with a 16 day season at all. But I do agree with an extended youth hunt. And as for an early muzzle loader hunt, I think that shoudl be ran the same week as the youth hunt. But that could cause issues as well. Personally I think they should just put things back to the way it was 19 years ago
Originally Posted by roundhead
Sconny hunter-- you can't be serious about your comment about the youth hunting season, come on kids are the backbone of the future. I agree with you on the early antlerless OCT. and and late season Dec. but with the kids I draw the line. I look forward next year to taking my daughter out who is turning 10 this may to hunt. I have already shot does with her and she loves it and so does my son who is 6.

One thing to everyone, what is the difference if you have goose fields all around the woods you hunt or deer hunters in the woods, everytime I sit in my stand I hear gun shoots. They don't know if your hunting them or geese.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

what if you don't have goose fields anywhere in your area?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Would living next to a military base count? They bomb, shoot straif the base in training and still the deer over-run the place. Deer can get used to anything! They are very adaptable creatures. We shouldn't fight between each other. To each his own, I hunt both archery and gun. The big picture is protecting our deer herd.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Being an ol'timer (started huntin deer in "52") I must say its a lot different today,now when a kid goes deer hunting ,it could be his first time hunting, for us at 12 years old we were seasoned hunters, grew up hunting rabbits, grouse, squirrels etc. WE played in the creeks camped in the woods all without fathers being there. Now its computers etc. until they go deer hunting and are real rookies. Give the kids and dads (who go with them) a break and yes all the early seasons proposed are the same calander week. Yep I go bowhunting twice a day and do not have a problem at all,now having said that a fews years ago the rut was going on during the T-Zone. thats kinda bad. This was during teachers convention so kids were off school. Let the kids have some fun remember its hunting not a slaughter.
Redclub
Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

I can relate to Redclub big time! I'm not an ol'timer but I remember when I started hunting in the early 70's there wasn't near the deer that we have now. Back then if you saw a buck, it was usally a pretty good one. I spent almost every waking hour in the woods as a kid.........didn't have all these appliance's from hell. Sure, I use those darn things, but I'll tell you I'm probably a way better woodsman than any kid today will ever be.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing when they put the Oct. hunts in they also allowed bowhunting up to when gun season opens. It used to close on the Sunday before the opener.
RC