Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Loess State Forest, Iowa? >

Loess State Forest, Iowa?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Loess State Forest, Iowa?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Spike

Default Loess State Forest, Iowa?

Can anyone give me some insight on Bow hunting opportunity for Loess State Forest in Iowa. I am considering this location for a non-resident hunt in the next couple of years. I am not looking to move in on anyone's spot, just simply looking for information on quality of deer, hunting pressure as well as possible areas to focus on. I am not affraid to get in deep away from the crowds. Thanks ahead!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

that is a beautiful area!

good luck on your planning of trip.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Spike

Go to the Iowa DNR website and you can get some maps from it. This is my second year hunting the Loess Hills state forest i see deer everytime out but to be honest i really havent seen any really big bucks. There are a lot of does and young bucks i just havent found the big ones yet, I know they are there its just a matter of time before i find them. If you have any questions just ask
Old 10-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Spike

its hard to get much info on public hunting in iowa.the people hunting the public land dont seem to want to talk much about it.i was wanting to try a public hunt there next year for gun season,but i may try to find a semi guided or tresspass fee hunt.good luck on your hunt in the loess hills.im sure public land there will be pretty good.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt an area up by Pisqah have seen a lot of does, not many big bucks but I know they are in there just have to find where they are hiding. I wouldn't mind showing you where it's at if ya get this way.
Good luck

Don
Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have Bowhunted there a couple times & have a friend that lives very near there that sees & takes some very nice deer. If It wasn't the other end of the state I would hunt there for sure...
Good Luck. There are also a couple great State Forests that are very good in Iowa as in Illinois. Born raised Ill & now Iowa last 13 years. To many people let PUBLIC scare them away...