Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Public Land Options in Illinois for Archery Deer >

Public Land Options in Illinois for Archery Deer

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Public Land Options in Illinois for Archery Deer

Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Spike

Default Public Land Options in Illinois for Archery Deer

I am looking for some advice on quality hunting areas in northern or central Illinois for archery deer. I have hunted Shabonna, Silver Springs and Midewin but am tired of excessive hunting pressure and highly pressured deer. I am willing to drive a couple of hours (live in the far sothwest suburbs of Chicago). Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Might look into some of the Army Corps of Engineers public access areas on the Mississippi River south of the Quad-Cities.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

sent you a private message.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Jim Edgar's Panther Creek... otherwise known as SITE M
Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Spike

I have heard various reports on Jim Edgar Panther Creek. Is it true that it experiences high hunting pressure? I've heard that a lot of non-residients hunt this area? Any other info on this area would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Typical Buck

Franklin Creek in Franklin Grove is worth a look.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Good luck finding any public ground that doesn't get a lot of pressure. The Corp of Engineers ground in Madison County along the river gets massive pressure each season. Your best bet is to find a good size chunk of public ground and then be willing to walk further and drag further than 99% of the guys that hunt it. I have 2 different pieces of good public ground that I hunt and rarely see others. I hunt as much as possible during the week and I am willing to drag a Deer a mile (which I have!) if necessary. You might consider the Shawnee National Forest if you're willing to drive. It is big enough to get away from everyone if you're willing to work for it.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Down here in the South land there is plenty of public ground. I know it is tough for you upstaters that 90% of IL public land is South of I-70. Along w/ Shawnee, there is Pyramid SP, Kaskaskia FWA those 3 lands have over 310,000 acres.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DUMB BASS
Down here in the South land there is plenty of public ground. I know it is tough for you upstaters that 90% of IL public land is South of I-70. Along w/ Shawnee, there is Pyramid SP, Kaskaskia FWA those 3 lands have over 310,000 acres.

All of these are awesome, for public land.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, Jim Edgar's Panther Creek has plenty of pressure.. But so does almost any public hunting ground... It's all about going where the pressure is less abundant and waiting the other hunters out.. The deer at Jim Edgar's Panther Creek will run ALL DAY due to pressure, whether it be the rut or not..Jut be patient and find a good travel corridor..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.