Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Need info on Wisconsin >

Need info on Wisconsin

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Need info on Wisconsin

Old 11-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Need info on Wisconsin

Guys I heading for Bayfield county near Iron River the end of this week. Should be arriving @ Delta Lodge some time in the afternoon on 10/15. I need help from my fellow bowhunters in this area. How's the rutting activity and what's the weather going to be like in this area next week. This is my 1st time in your state and from what the guys I'm going with are telling me you guys have monsters roaming the woods up there.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need info on Wisconsin

No rut yet, seems to be way too warm. and is supposed to be all week untill friday

Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Wis bow hunter, waht about the weather next week. I looked at accuweather and they had highs in the mid 30's to high 20's with various forms of precip. Any truth to that?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm quite a bit south (4hours) from Bayfield, but on Tuesday I thought things were getting revved up, this weekend sort of changed that, weather (warm) slowed things down. 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 bucks were following (not chasing) some does around. My best response to calling was a 16" 8pt that wandered in from behind me grunting on occasion. Even though he wasn't a shooter I wanted to see how he would react. At about 70 yds he ignored all attempts at grunts, bleats (the can) and rattles. Doing something I've never done, I did a snort-wheeze with my mouth. He stopped and looked. I did it once more and he came walking right in.
I'm planning on going out Thursday a.m. with colder weather. I'll try to let you know what I observe.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM
JT
Spike

rut is in preliminary stages up there. If it gets as cold as you saw on the forecast, that may speed things along. Last year at this time, the upcoming weekend really seemed to kick things off.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Any more information you can give me before Friday will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup looks like a cool down is finally instore for us. bad thing is its getting down to the grind stone. I have never gone this long without filling atleast 1 of 3 of my tags. With gun season starting on the 22nd we have a little over two weeks to fill some bow tags. And with the deer not moving im thinking, hey its time to break out some shell corn.
ORIGINAL: Billy P.

Wis bow hunter, waht about the weather next week. I looked at accuweather and they had highs in the mid 30's to high 20's with various forms of precip. Any truth to that?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I couldn't get to my computer yesterday, buck down! I saw a big differnce in deer movement yesterday vs. Sunday. On they way to work todayI saw a buck slowly cruising a field right next to the highway. That is the first DEER I've ever seen in that field in 6 years and here he was at 8:00. Get in the woods this weekend, or better yet, NOW!

As for the buck, I had passed on 2 small bucks cruising past. It was windy and raining most of the morning. At 8:30 hewas walking briskly down a trail 60 yards away, angling downhill away from me. I knew he looked good, so I grunted once, he paused. I hit it again and he looked right at me. I didn't move and he jumped onto a trail that passed at exactly 40 yards. I put the pin right at the bottom of his chest and let it go. Great hit right at the shoulder, and Slick Tricks passed right through. He went 30 yards and tipped over. He is only going to go about 125" he's a gnarly 10 pt, 18 inch inside, but we determined him to be a buck that maxed out at about 140" a couple of years ago so he's passed his prime and really shouldn't be a breeder anyway, so possibly 7-8 years oldand just shy of 185lb field dressed. I'm pretty happy with him andmy 5 year old just smiled all day yesterday he was so proud of his dad. Very cool.