Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Des Plaines, Il phez >

Des Plaines, Il phez

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Des Plaines, Il phez

Old 11-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Des Plaines, Il phez

Heading to Des Plaines for a phez hunt this Sat... Anybody got any pointers/ tips for this site? How early do I show up?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 AM

Default RE: Des Plaines, Il phez

Since you posted on the 2nd, I'm guessing it's for the 8th? Let me know how it goes. I've never hunted Des Plaines, but I'm guessing it'll be crowded. I hunted Iroquois on the 1st and it was nearly full at 7am.

Chris
Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vince, Been to Des Plaines a few times too, be happy to help you out.

I'll be there the day before you unless the weather is absolutly horrible. Looks like showers and lower 50's right now for Fraday, but its still a few days away. Im hoping the weather man is wrong.

Unless the rules have changed, they open up the "Sweat Line" at 7 AM. I recommend getting there no later than 6:30,earlier if you can. Ive never hunted there on a wknd, but by 6:30 on Fridays, there is already a decent line. Also, they have a safety meeting at 8;30 I believe. Make sure you attend that. Basically it is just so one one starts hunting early, from what I believe.

If you get there early and check in, Id go take a drive around and scout out some other spots since you are allowed to switch locations after the first hour. For me, the spots differ at Des Plaines when you have a dog. Ive heard that 11-16 are quite good with a dog. Its shorter grass so the dogs can work a little easier. Also, areas B and C (On the other side of 55) are pretty good. Its a thinner over there with some hedge rows, plus the bird pens are over there so it may attract the birds back over to that area.

Since I don't have a dog, I hit the thickers stuff, mainly 10 to start, but Ive hunted 13, 4 and 9 as well (13 isn't that thick). 13 has prduced some birds and 4 is a very big area which may be very good to hunt with a dog. 10 is pretty thick, some days it has been good, others bad.

Its the same as kankakee with these birds. Im sure you already know it, but when these birds flush, they head straight to the woods. Later in the day, I would hit them for sure. Good luck and if I go Friday and get backin time, I'll throw up a report for you. Good luck and I hope the weather cooperates and the birds are flying for you!

Here is a map of the areas at Des Plaines. If you have time, bring this up and then mapquest the hunting area and get and ariel view. It is pretty detailed and can show you what all the areas look like.

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hunter_fact_sheet/R2Maps/dspmap.pdf

Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, guys. Fastetti, knew I could count on you for a detailed report. Thanks again, & I'll let y'all know how it went.

BTW, went to Maytown yesterday (Sun), & struck out! Only saw 1 woodcock, 1 quail, & 1 doe which scared the bejeezus out of us!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks about Maytown, Ive never hunted there before. I know about those deer scaring the Sh*t out of you though. When I hunt the thick stuff, You basically have to stomp on them before they move.

I checked to see how many permits were left for Des Plaines this week because it gives me an idea on how many birds they release. So far, there are 40 left for Wednesday, 150 for Thursday and 45 for Friday (out of 240 or so , I believe) so it looks like they are going to release a good amount of birds. Plus, they had the Kids hunt last Sunday and I think they release more birds for that to get the kids excited about hunting so there should be a decent amount of Birds out there.

Looks like the weather for Friday and Saturday isn't supose to be to great. Im hoping the weather man is wrong and it will be 50 and sunny, but it isn't looking good. My advice again, get there early, try to ask what fields people like and hunt hard. You'd be amazed at how people just wait for there dogs to go on point and do nothing else. My rule of thumb, if I can get into my truck without my legs feeling sore then I didn't hunt hard enough. Good luck and if I get out Friday and get back in time, I'll leave a post Friday night before 8 PM to try to help you out.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vince,
Just got back a few minutes ago and am extremly tired. Got to Des Plaines around 6:30 and there were about 40 people in line when we got there. Of course, I didnt realize permits had to be bought online 24 hrs before hand so we had to wait in the "Sweat Line" to see if we could get in. When they did the drawing, we were the first ball pulled and one of the only spots they had left was area 3. To make a long story short, went in and over the first hour hit the brush piles and thick stuff pretty hard and managed one hen. Met some guys in the field that had a AMAZING pointer. Over the next hour we were seeing birds everywhere. 5 of us limited out by 11 AM. it was a great morning. From what I heard, every area around us (2,4,9,10) were doing just as well. Even driving in we stopped to take a look at area 2 and there a bunch of roosters hanging out near the parking lot!! I'll givea little more updated report on Monday, I need to get some sleep. Good luck tomorrow, Hope the weather cooperates!
Old 11-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fastetti,
Came home empty handed againSaw a total of 8 birds, 3 within shotgun range. It was pretty crowded out there...
The dog was a bit clumsy at first, but also presented me with a perfect opportunity for a double, which I choked on[:@].
Still beats a good day @ work, though!