Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 any north dakotans here? >

any north dakotans here?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

any north dakotans here?

Old 03-18-2003, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default any north dakotans here?

i am from warwick. by devils lake. well i live on a farm that is 9 miles from warwick. but what do you think about that new cap they put on non-resident hunters. i think it was like only 30k or somthin like that. i am un decided. my dad, a farmer says that its bring in tons of revinue for ND and its helpin the farmers out by keepin the duck and geese numbers down. i agree. it will only hurt the state of ND i think.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: any north dakotans here?

Every year my brother and I spend a week duck hunting in the Devil' s Lake area. We probably spend 750-$800 each while we are up there. The resort that we stay at in Minnewaken is always full, and everybody there is from out of state. Small towns like Minnewaken really depend on the money they bring in from out of towners like myself.
Unfortunately there is a small minority of loud mouthed locals in the devils lake area that think non-residents(especially Minnesotans like myself) are spoiling their hunting opportunities,I don' t understand that. We have never had a problem finding places to hunt where nobody else was. Even though more and more land is getting posted every year.
I think that ND is failing to look at the big picture by doing things like limiting non-res license and only allowing residents to hunt the first week. ND should be trying to cash in as much as they can while there are still lots of ducks around. I' ve heard talk that limits this year may be only 3 or 4 ducks/day. If that happens, fewer non-resident hunters will travel to ND to hunt, and little towns like Minnewaken will loose out on money that they may have been able to collect last year, if there hadn' t been a limit on the # of non-resident hunters allowed.
Anyway, I hope things will go back to the way they were before, so everybody who wants to can enjoy chasing the birds around the great state of North Dakota. The hunting in the Devils Lake area is unmatched as far as I' m concerned. Maybe some day we' ll run into each other. Later....
Old 03-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

i know what you mean. i go to school in New Rockford which is about 40 miles from Devils lake. and they have a motel there that has a hunting lodge part. and that seems to be booked during waterfowl season every yr. i see lots of outa state vechiles there too. they are stupid as far as i am concerned. Look at fishing. if they limited the number of out of state fishing licences i think that devils lake would go outa buisness. i would just like to know how much money they make each yr from people outa state that come up there for ice fishing and summerfishing. hunting is the same way. and i am a very avid hunter scence i live on a farm. as far as i am concerned there are too many ducks. i dont think it would matter about letting non-resident hunters in north dakota. well thats my opinion anyway
Old 03-25-2003, 09:11 AM

Mrfishy34,

I am from ND as well. I am from Wilton. It is a small town about 20 miles norht of bismarck on hwy 83. I personally dont mind the out of state hunters. It only brings in money for the state. But I guess we will see if these lawmakers and such are as smart as they think they are.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:11 AM

I go to school at NDSU, and all of my ND friends have told me that non-residents aren' t a big deal. I don' t know, but that' s what I' ve been told.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya. theres plunty of ducks. GO BISION
Old 03-25-2003, 04:23 PM

I live there and dont really mind out of state hunters. There was a couple that my dads friend caught hunting on his posted land but that is about. I do alot of duck hunting right out-side of new rockford where my friend has a farm and havent really paid attention and only hunted on his land so i am not sure about non-res hunters there. I know of alot of non-residents goin out west for phesant hunting, accually my uncle from florida does but i dont really think it affects it to much,
Old 03-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

nate is it john that you hunt with. i think we talked about that