Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Michigan's "early youth hunt" >

Michigan's "early youth hunt"

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan's "early youth hunt"

Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Spike

Default Michigan's "early youth hunt"

Here is my question, How do you guys feel about this? I personally think it's BS for a few reasons 1) Gives the "new" hunter a false sense of what hunting is about after all how easy is it to kill a deer in what Sept. when there has been NO hunting activity. 2) ok if you want a "youth hunt" make it does only . 3) How many "nice" bucks never get the chance to pass those genes along during the rut. 4) how many "adult-kids" are out there taking advantage of a kid to use a tag to kill a "nice" buck when there is no pressure? these are just a few of my thoughtd off the top of my head , what do you guys think?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 PM

Default RE: Michigan's "early youth hunt"

I think you have it all wrong. Its really not as easy as you thinking it is. Do you know how green it is in September? You don't have all that much visibility because everything is full still. And i don't think its giving anyone a false sense of what hunting is about at all, but it is good because it will get the youth involved in our sport.
I am a year to old to hunt during the weekend this year, but I will be going with my friends and video taping. And I apologize if it feels like im taking shots at you or anything. I respect your opinion.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:20 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I have a son that will get to take part in the youth hunt here in MO in a few years. I think it is a great thing. I however would never shoot a deer for my son, if he misses well then better luck next time. Nobody shot a deer for me when I was young and I refuse to do it for him. I don't care how big a buck walks in. The number of youth hunters are so low that they aren't going to shoot enough big bucks to matter anyway. I work in a rural school district and I get to see the excitement of the kids walking down the halls carrying their pictures of a doe or little raghorn buck. Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Spike

Oh no offence taken and thanks for your opinion on the subject , and yes I know how "green&full" it is in the woods but , I still can't help but think its giving you a false sense of hunting and making it alot easier to get a kill and get you all excited about hunting .I have been hunting and carrying a gun afeild since well since well wow 1980 so 28 years I was in the 4th grade and it took years for me to get my first kill, a doe and a while longer to shoot my first buck . But I learned a lot a field about hunting and I feel it made me a better hunter in the long run. Hunting is not Just about KILLING in my opinoin there is alot more to it.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Hunting is not Just about KILLING in my opinoin there is alot more to it.
I agree also. But I would not so far as say its a false sense. In a way I do agree though just because its before the bow opening day and no one has been in the woods hunting so deer are not pressured any where near they are compared to the bow or rifle season. But, it works out because I think If a youth shoots a nice sized buck (or any deer for that matter) and its his/her first, they will be hooked. Like DTC said, the number of youth hunters is dropping.
Its just another excuse to get in the woods and share it with family and friends for me. It took me two seasons to get my first deer. On one youth hunt weekend, I think I missed 4 times during that weekend! I would call my dad on the walkie talkie, and he would come over and explain what I did wrong, or if I should have been more patient, or anything like that. A buddy got his first deer on youth hunt and it ran about 20 yards before it fell. The dads all showed us tips for tracking or how to spot things to track the deer. I just think when there are no other hunters in the woods, you can learn more without having to worry about messing up someones hunt or god forbid being shot.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Spike

Well I do think its a good idea on paper ,But I allso think that if a parent is a hunter then if the kid has interest he to will become a hunter , I have 2 kids one 7 a boy he has shown little intrest in hunting , kinda a bummer but I think in time he will "come around" now my daughter who is now 5 has been interested in hunting I think since she was born lol , as a baby the only thing that would stop her crying is watching Turkey hunting shows , crazy huh? she always wants to go hunting I took her out last year on opening day mind you she was 4 but she really did well out there as far as sitting still and being quiet.