Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 first bowhunt in missouri >

first bowhunt in missouri

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

first bowhunt in missouri

Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Default first bowhunt in missouri

I'm from Kansas and I'm heading out to Missouri for my first everdeer hunt. It will be on private land, and i can go whenever I want and however often I choose. The season starts Sept. 15th.
I chose to go with the bow instead of firearm since it seemed more enjoyable to me. I've been practicing like mad, but i'm curious as to what I should know about this particular area as far as times and terrain.
I'm not looking to bag a big buck. I'm a meat in the freezer kind of guy and if I can get a doe in close I'll drop it right off then spend some other weekends up there chasing a buck.
I'll be hunting close to a creek bed and soy field. I'm able to hang a tree stand if I would like to, but i don't know much about that either.
So, in summary, I'm going on a deer hunt with nothing but a whole lot of practice with my bow and I'm completely ignorant in everything else. In short, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 PM

Default RE: first bowhunt in missouri

Where is the hunt going to be in Missouri? Is there water in the creek bed,, if not is there any water nearby?Is there heavy cover for them to bed in near the beans? If it were me, early season, I would watch the bean field a few evenings and see where the deer are coming into it, or walk the edges and look for a well traveled trail coming into the field from a thicket. Follow the trail back into the timber a little ways, and hang your stand downwind of the prevailing wind for the area... Thats what I would suggest for early season, and just filling a tag, later in the season,, just look for the does,, the bucks will be nearby.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first bowhunt in missouri

Be sure to hunt as scent-free as possible,the scent killer sprays are pretty good and they have the scent free liquid shower soap at most stores.Always wear a safety harness if your up in a tree and patients and determination will help you out in achieving your goals as a Hunter.How far in from Kansas will you be hunting in Missouri.....maybe someone else on here can give you some tips about hunting the certain county your in?