Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Bowhunt

Old 04-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Default First Bowhunt

Well this is a different forum than I usually use but since its Turkey Time I figured I would post in here instead. Since the season is only about 1 month long in TN, and I am working a ways from the house I found me a little spot around the job site to sit in the afternoons after 5:00. I took my bow the day before yesterday in hopes that my newlyconstructed blind would produce. I crept towards the blind and placed a hen decoy in a small clearing about 15 yards in front of my position. I quickly knocked an arrow and leaned the bow against the tree in front of me and began calling on a slate call. Immediately I saw a bird running a big circle around to directly behind me and I also caught movement ahead of me about 40 yards out. The longbeard stepped out of the brush and quickly moved in front of my tree which blocked my view of him. I eased down, grabbed my bow, drew and waited. Eventually he stepped out from behind the tree only he was around 35 yards I picked a spot and let fly......Nothing but air. The bird untouched just walked off while another tom came out of hiding and walked past me out of range. A rough start but all of this happened in around 10 minutes from the time I left my car. Extremely fast. I am still very excited to know that these birds are in the area. Im going to try them again soon only this time with a shot gun. I still have a lot to learn about bowhunting turkeys. Its a tad bit more difficult than hunting deer with a bow.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Bowhunt

It is harder than it looks. Believe me!!! I missed several birds before finally connecting on a nice Rio in Kansas this year. Read this story. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2076126
Aim small miss small. Try not to take shots until they stop. Make sure of yardage by using a rangefinder and know where you are supposed to hit them. It is a very small vital area on a turkey. Only about the size of a baseball or a little bigger.
Even harder without a blind. A lot of movement to draw the bow.
Have fun.