Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Hunting Sales Job >

Hunting Sales Job

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Hunting Sales Job

Old 04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
JT
Spike

Default Hunting Sales Job

Wondering if anyone has any good contacts for a outside sales position in the hunting industry. I am currently a medical rep and would love to be a sales rep in the Midwest for any of the major distributors. I am currently in the Milwaukee area. Thanks in advance. My email is [email protected].
Old 04-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Sales Job

Put on your traveling shoes,and head out to as many trade shows as possible. I would hit the SHOT show specifically,but you can make some great contacts at the yearly national conventions for organizations like the NWTF,Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation,Ducks Unlimited and the NRA just to name a few.....Go to individual booths and introduce yourself to Reps and Pro Staff. By all means,take along copies of your Cirriculum Vitae,but developing friendships that put you on the inside track will ultimately yield more than blind mailings..... Best of luck to you.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Contacts are obviously the best way to go... But there are some opportunities with companies that just get advertised on web sites and such... For example the other day I ran accross a Regional Sales Rep position with PSE - the position was covering AZ, NV & HI I believe though....
Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I worked in the industry for years. Your question has a bit of confliction in it?? I will try to clear it up.

There are two types of sales representatives. There are manufacturer's rep's, and then there are distributor rep's. The two word's should easily differentiate the two.

Mfr. rep's usually have larger territories, and sell to wholesaler's and large retailer's. And then obviously the wholesaler rep's have smaller territories and sell to all the retailer's, and no distrtibutor's.

The SHOT show is a manufacting show, not a wholesaler show. There are some wholesaler's there, but the show is mostly for mfrs.

Actually the best way to get a job is to get a good resume put together, and send it to all the mfrs. and distributor's you can find. The most important factor for you is to be transient.

Going to the shows can work. But normally any of the good rep's are too busy at the show's to fool with you. Try to find a job in the off season. Fishing rep's in the winter and hunting rep's in the summer. IF you have any specific questions send me a message, I will try to answer them as well as I can. Tom.