Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Minnesota hunters >

Minnesota hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Minnesota hunters

Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Minnesota hunters

can't believe i missed this thread for this long![/align] [/align] I live in the NW metro and grew up in Monticello. I hunt the sherburne county wildlife refuge, my inlaws land (borders the refuge), and I have 40 wooded acres between Isle and Ogilvie. I work in IT as a project manager. I love my job but hate the fact that all the jobs are in bigger cities. Otherwise, I'd probably be living up north somewhere.[/align] [/align] Shultzy - I can't wait for bear hunting. A bear knocked over my tripod feeder and tore a 1 foot by 1 foot hole in my barrel on 7/5. That guy has a white spot on his chest and he's all mine come early september. He'd make a nice rug. They destroyed my feeder last year too. Next year it's going to be bear/coon proof. I'm about 2 miles inside the no-quota zone (love it!). Last year I had trail cam pics of 7 bears (3 cubs), this year I have pics of 3 so far. [/align] [/align] this will be my 12th year bow hunting, wish I would have started earlier. good luck to everyone this year.[/align]
Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mconwa951

Ya schultzy I am going to our cabin on the boundry waters gonna try with the muzzleloader this year i think, but the bow will for sure be with. Sucks cause we cant bait though.
Good luck up there!!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RackLuster

can't believe i missed this thread for this long! I live in the NW metro and grew up in Monticello. I hunt the sherburne county wildlife refuge, my inlaws land (borders the refuge), and I have 40 wooded acres between Isle and Ogilvie. I work in IT as a project manager. I love my job but hate the fact that all the jobs are in bigger cities. Otherwise, I'd probably be living up north somewhere. Shultzy - I can't wait for bear hunting. A bear knocked over my tripod feeder and tore a 1 foot by 1 foot hole in my barrel on 7/5. That guy has a white spot on his chest and he's all mine come early september. He'd make a nice rug. They destroyed my feeder last year too. Next year it's going to be bear/coon proof. I'm about 2 miles inside the no-quota zone (love it!). Last year I had trail cam pics of 7 bears (3 cubs), this year I have pics of 3 so far. this will be my 12th year bow hunting, wish I would have started earlier. good luck to everyone this year.
Wow that sounds exciting for you!! I sure wish I lived in northern Mn up with the bears. I love hunting them critters. Good luck Rackluster! Shoot that biggin and get a rug, bear rugs are sweet. I've got 3 rugs and a few shoulder mounts. They are spendy but they do look nice.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am dying to go bear hunting again. I just have to find someone who can get me on a site somewhere. I don't have the time to get out and bait as I would need too. If anyone can help me out this year or next I would love to work something out. I can pay for bait some of your time w/e I just don't have the cash nor do I want a full service hunt. I just want a active bait. Good luck to you that are going.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Just wondering I live in South central Ohio and My brother lives around the Fairmont area of Mn. They have a farm there (corn and beans) that I have visited and pheasant hunted a time or two. Just wondering if that area holds any good deer and if its worth giving a shot bowhunting. Like I said they have close to 1000 acres and its pretty much all corn and beans. Never saw much for trees or big woods in his area. Just thought I would check and see if I could get any advice. Hereis my last Ohio deer from 2005 inmy area. Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pinsapex7

Just wondering I live in South central Ohio and My brother lives around the Fairmont area of Mn. They have a farm there (corn and beans) that I have visited and pheasant hunted a time or two. Just wondering if that area holds any good deer and if its worth giving a shot bowhunting. Like I said they have close to 1000 acres and its pretty much all corn and beans. Never saw much for trees or big woods in his area. Just thought I would check and see if I could get any advice. Hereis my last Ohio deer from 2005 inmy area. Thanks again.

1st of all thats an awesome buck you got!! My advice would be to find any small tiny woodlots or a small group of tree's and set up on them with the right wind of course. Being the area is lacking trees and cover you would be able to narrow the bucks down on where the cover is, it should work in your favor. I love hunting areas like this! Good luck if you make the trip.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Tribal

I am dying to go bear hunting again. I just have to find someone who can get me on a site somewhere. I don't have the time to get out and bait as I would need too. If anyone can help me out this year or next I would love to work something out. I can pay for bait some of your time w/e I just don't have the cash nor do I want a full service hunt. I just want a active bait. Good luck to you that are going.
I wish I could help you out Tribal! The area I've been bear hunting the last 20 years has really gotten invaded by bear guides and loggers and there for I've lost allot of area from what I use to have. We barely have enough room for the group of 5 that normally go. I'll keep you in mind if something would change.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Shultzy,

Thats all I can ask and couldn't expect anything more. I know what you mean by guides and such. Thats the one thing that bothers me about hunting is if you don't have a place to hunt, it is becoming that you have to have alot of money to gain access somewhere. IF your lucky you still find a place to put in some hard work, and a gift basketfor a farmer who will let you have access but they get smart pretty quick when some white collar guy offers up some dough. Anyways, I appreciate the response and good luck hunting. Talk to you soon.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep these guides are a pain in the ass up there! Everyone thinks there are a bear guide these days, 99% of them are wantabee's. When a bear guide license only cost $82.00 you get all sorts of idiots. Like I said I'll keep you in mind if a member of our group would decide to opt out some year.

The guys in the bow hunting forum sure have allot of respect for you with the big bucks you've shot. I haven't been around for to long being I joined up last September so congrats on them big bucks you've been taking! Do you deer hunt around your neck of the woods?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I had a great honey hole not far from me. A ton of private land that is bordered by another ton of private land. The catch was it was only hunted by archery. We all stuck to mature buck only and it worked well as you could see.Due to unfortunate circumstances I no longer have access to it. This will be the first time in 8 years I am back to looking for a spot to hunt. I have gone back to applying for the metro parks hunts. And even kicking the idea around of going into Ripley again with all those 3000 maniacs. Just so I can at least have a little better chance of running into a mature buck. I admit I was spoiled and with hard work I could usually count on at least seeing a "mature" buck as long as I put alot of time in. I hunted usually 4-5 days a week. Now it will be tough to not even really have a place to stick a couple of does. Hopefully I will be set up again next year on some decent land somewhere by next year.

Quick Reply: Minnesota hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.