Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Illinois State Run Public Hunting Disaster! >

Illinois State Run Public Hunting Disaster!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois State Run Public Hunting Disaster!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois State Run Public Hunting Disaster!

Would somebody explain on what information folks believe that the state wants to eliminate its controlled hunts? I have not heard that one.

I've signed up for spots in advance and I've shown up for the lottery on hunting days. I hope the practice continues.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

"The governor's office has said, however, that it is willing to work with the General Assembly to keep the controlled pheasant-hunting program operating. What that likely means is an increase in the cost of permits from $15 to $25 or even $30 for the upcoming hunting season."

http://www.bnd.com/sports/story/285905.html
Old 04-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Actually, Blagosumbitch wants the State to stop raising Pheasants. If that happens, there won't be any available for the "put and take" programs. Funny thing is, of the $1.3 million the state spends raising Pheasants every year, $938,000 goes to employee salaries, but the State doesn't plan on laying anyone off. The other $400,000 is offset by a like amount taken in from the $15 fee hunters pay when they hunt at the various "put andtake" sites. In reality, the state will see no real savings!
Old 04-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

I don"t know whats worse, fighting the anti"s, or the state. Just hope that they can still hunt in the state parks.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like the controlled pheasant hunting program is dead. At least, according to sources at DNR.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

are you saying you cannot hunt pheasants on public land? or what are you saying? because if that's the case, thats the stupidest thing ever.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

DNR was saying earlier today that the 'put and take' program is dead. I just got off the phone with dnr and now they say it WILL continue! The director has ordered them to make the raised pheasants available.

The price may go up (an increase requires a law change) but the controlled pheasant hunting program will continue. That is good news.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

This was posted on another website in Illinois a few days ago. I hope your information is correct, I really don't want to see this programmed stopped. It will be near impossible to get it started again once we do. I'm hoping the DNR when you talked to them was referring to allState Run sites rather than just the T. Miller Sites. I really wish it was easier to raise the prices. I have no problem with them raising the price $10 a trip in needed to keep this alive. When we hunt these put and takes, we rarely get more than a bird a piece. None of havea dog and we just walk out butts off trying to get lucky and kick up a bird. We do it more just to hang out with the guys and relax. No work talk and no cell phones (actually one in case of emergency). Well, here's the info I got. Keep writing your state Reps. if you have the time and please post any new info you have.

salukipv1, They are not going to ban pheasant hunting all together on public ground, they just aren't going to release any bird onto public ground like they have for years. There are VERY few wild birds on public ground in Northern Illinois so this is the only way most of us can hunt pheasants.

DNR pheasant program faces deadline
April 16, 2008 at 01:33 PM
BY CHRIS YOUNG

Standing outside a legislative hearing room Wednesday morning in a khaki-colored work shirt and a Pheasants Forever cap, Kelly Howry looked a wee bit uncomfortable.

But even though Howry probably is more at home in the field than in the halls of government, he said it was important to show his support for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources’ controlled pheasant-hunting program.

DNR plans to discontinue the program to save money. The controlled pheasant-hunting program relies on captive raised birds that are stocked at special hunting areas at 18 sites around the state.

Supporters of the program say there aren’t enough birds in heavily farmed Illinois to satisfy everyone who wants to hunt pheasants. Pheasant hunters also say not everyone has access to private land or can afford to go to a hunting preserve.

Howry is the habitat chairmen of his local Pheasants Forever chapter in DeWitt County. He said his chapter provides volunteers and financial support for a youth hunt held at Clinton Lake.

Youth hunts at controlled pheasant hunting areas will be discontinued if the program is closed.

“I’m a strong believer in getting them out in the field—out in the timber and out by the creek,” said Howry. “Then you can keep them out of trouble.”

Under the proposal, Clinton Lake is one of 14 sites where the controlled pheasant-hunting program would be closed. Another four sites will stay open, because they buy birds from an outside vendor.

Howry attended a joint House and Senate committee meeting to discuss funds that have not been released for a variety of agricultural and natural resources programs even though they were appropriated by the Illinois General Assembly.

Ginger Ostro, director of the Governor’s Office of Management and Budget, said the money has been withheld because tax revenues for fiscal 2008 are falling $750 million short of what was projected.

The pheasant program cuts actually would take place in fiscal 2009, but supporters of the program say DNR faces an early to mid-May deadline to begin raising pheasants for fall.

“We’re going to lose the season by default and inaction,” says Jerry Rodeen, a member of Phesants Forever’s national board of directors.

He said controlled hunting areas provide good first experiences for young hunters since they have a reasonable chance at success.

“They are the only places these young men and women can hunt and be assured of a good shot,” he said.

Rep. Dan Reitz, D-Sparta, said he doesn’t see any real cost savings to the state if the pheasant program is discontinued.

Operating three propagation facilities, including one at Lincoln, costs about $1.3 million. About two-thirds of the expense is staff - 13 positions in all. The $15 fee paid by hunters (on top of their hunting license and habitat stamp) more than covers the other one-third, about $400,000 to $450,000.

The employees are to be reassigned to other duties, so Reitz says closing the program won’t really save any money.

“The numbers I have seen, (the controlled pheasant-hunting program) is a money-maker for DNR,” he said. “I really think doing away with this program makes no sense at all.”

Reitz said the program could generate more revenue by hiking the fee to $25 and then by $5 more every three years.

Rodeen said pheasant hunters likely would be willing to pay more to hunt.

“Sportsmen and women have always been willing to pay their way,” he said. “We should raise the fee (from $15) to $25 and put in a cost-of-living escalator so we don’t have to go through this crisis again.”[/align][/align][/align][/align]Let's hope for the rest and give these guys some credit for taking time out and doing what they did!![/align]
Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, looks like the pheasant hunters of Illinois came out on top! Checked the Illinois DNR page yesterday and the application page for the 2008 public pheasant permits are out! I breathed a little easier when I saw that. I don't think they accept applications for another 2 months but at least we know we will have some where to Pheasant hunt this year!