Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 People complaining about the quality of Ohio deer >

People complaining about the quality of Ohio deer

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

People complaining about the quality of Ohio deer

Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 AM

Default People complaining about the quality of Ohio deer

Some people say thathunters in Ohio always take the best bucks with their cars, not their muzzleloaders. But I think it is our own faults as hunters that is causing continued problems in deer quality inOhio I see way too many small bucks that get takin around here and way too few does. I've noticed that alot of hunters in Ohio don't care about killing a Big deer, they just take the first buck they see. Alot of my fellow Ohio hunters are causing their own problems and wanting to blame it on things beside their own crappy hunting practices. I see so many doe when I go out, but only one or two true Bucks that are really "takers" People go out and kill off spring of those bucks constantly rather than taking matured doe, just so they can say they got a buck when most real hunters would rather take a quality doe with a good amount of meat in the freezer then taking a four point buck thats only two years old just so they can say that they took a buck. We are causing our own problems with a lack of quality population control and bad shot choices. My solution would be to have one season of only state "quota" bucks being shot, meanwhile allow anyone to take up to four deer state wide, but only doe. When doe population is slightly thinned then Bucks would move slightly more around the state. This would allow the population of deer a chance to gain another year of maturity prior to being killed. Then I think we need to go to a population control system, where we must kill one doe and have it tagged to be allowed to buy a antlered tag, it would keep doe population down, and make people start harvesting doe, if they want to hunt the big dogs, rather than just go out when they want to get that "big one". Also, I think that ODNR needs to open a hunting capable wildlife preserve on eachside of our state capital and allow an extra week of gun seasonbut only allow doe the second full week. All these things would work singularly or combined would definitely improve the population and quality of population of deer in this state
Old 02-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Default RE: People complaining about the quality of Ohio deer

Indiana is no different. Everyone wants to watch the herd of 10-15 does walk past them, then they shoot that monster 4 pointer. Then they complain about the lack of bigger bucks and there being too many does.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:52 PM

Ohio DNR is proposing a new deer hunting law in Ohio will be discussed at next DNR meeting here soon about making all deer hunters in Ohio kill a doe before tttthere issued a tag for a buck to help reduce the doe population this is what i been told by a few that work for DNR in Ohio...

Mr Gobbler
Old 02-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

We don't have enough deer of any kind in the state. Killing a smaller buck instead of a mature doe is nothing to complain about yet. I for one am glad to hear it. Ohio's a big state and we could easily carry a million plus deer. Everyone would(hunters that is) have nothing to complain about then.

Leave the doe's alone. Our no guns during the rut is perfect and will supply everyone with whatever they want as long as there's deer to hunt. No doe's equals no deer.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with alot of what you say, but i am not one to tell someone else how to hunt or what to shoot. they have paid there licence fee and bought there tags. everyone has there own trophy and tablefare. yes i saw alot of small deer at the checkin station this year, but i also saw a bunch dead on the side of the road also. my question has always been how well can the dnr moniter the herd from behind a desk by looking at the harvest totals. so im told theres only one game warden for each county. 88 countys what kind of mileage do these guys walk a year to keep a tally ? i personally have yet to meet a game warden in the woods.( only wile fishing and he didnt get out of his truck ) now mabe theres something im missing here, air survelance, trail timers, how they doin it ?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

I have never seen one here either, PA I see them all the time, but all the hours Ive spent bow hunting and squirrel hunting Ive never seen an Ohio Game Warden
Old 02-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I have family in central Ohio, and I've seen plenty of big deer there. The problem isn't what someone else is shooting, which is really none of your business, but the fact that you aren't going where the big deer are. Big deer don't necessarily follow the same routes and patterns that lesser deer use, that's one reason why they get bigger. I've also noticed that hunters in general tend to stay within an easy drag of their truck, if you're one of them invest in a deer cart and go further in than the others do, you'll start seeing bigger deer then. When you get out far enough that you don't see other people you're getting warm, keep moving.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 PM

The state only cares about the money not the deer ,If they could sell every deer in the state for $$$ They will. Look all around you ,ohio will be next.The state of ohio is just a little behind .

[/align]
Old 02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I have family in central Ohio, and I've seen plenty of big deer there. The problem isn't what someone else is shooting, which is really none of your business, but the fact that you aren't going where the big deer are. Big deer don't necessarily follow the same routes and patterns that lesser deer use, that's one reason why they get bigger. I've also noticed that hunters in general tend to stay within an easy drag of their truck, if you're one of them invest in a deer cart and go further in than the others do, you'll start seeing bigger deer then. When you get out far enough that you don't see other people you're getting warm, keep moving.
I hunted the N.W. the central and the southernpart. Numbers were down and deer smaller.The state needs more not less deer. I don't believe that we have the numbers reported. I've also heard that the state has a goal herd size of 250,000. I remember those days. Most hunted in Pa. We were thrilled to see a track.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Ohio bowhunter here shot 6 does this year and no bucks. I won't shoot a buck unless it is worth going on the wall. No bucks last year either. @005 last buck with muzzleloader if wondering how big go to Ohio Deer Muzzleloader Gallery and look at the pic that says 2005 buck under it in the snow

Quick Reply: People complaining about the quality of Ohio deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.