Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 What state to take Archery trip for Whitetail? >

What state to take Archery trip for Whitetail?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

What state to take Archery trip for Whitetail?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default What state to take Archery trip for Whitetail?

I've been researching the best state to take an archery trip to next season for whitetail. WI is out of the window, because I would like to travel out of state. The other thing, don't want to hire an outfitter or anything, rather a DIY on public land. Any recomendations or experiences? Iowa, SD, ND??? Thanks!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:26 AM

Default RE: What state to take Archery trip for Whitetail?

public land in iowa is good during the early bow season. Oct. 1 to the first week of DEC. bow season closes during the two shot gun season then it opens back up until Jan 10. my brother and other guys i know that bow hunt do the public ground until the shot gun seasons then they go to privet ground or hunt the public ground after the deer had time to calm down. most of the time they are done before the shot gun season starts when it is warm. the rut usually around Nov 1. if some one knows more about the iowa rut please correct me. but any way public ground is very good before the on-slot of shot gun seasons.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 AM

To me it depends on what you are after. If you are a guy who is after the 170+" Booners then Illinois, Iowa, and Kansas are your states. Ohio of late has also produced some awsome deer on both private and public land. If you are happy with 100" deer and lots of em. I recommend Indiana and definately Michigan. Me personally, I have hunted every one of the states above and woulddo Illinois and Kansas hands down for quality deer. Illinois has better numbers and lends itself to bowhunting better than Kansas. Iowa is much the same as Illinois. Iowa and Missouri are typically cheaper alternatives for the "usually" higher rated/priced Illinois leases out there. Illinois is no secret. However, there are pockets in Kansas, Ohio, and Iowa that have super cheap world class bowhunting. Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wisconsin of course lol
Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 AM

I'd say Iowa for big bucks on public land with a bow if you have some points for a tag. I would also look into Northern Missouri. Only $150 for an archery tag compared to $400 or whatever for an Iowa or Kansas tag. We hunted N. MO this November the week before theirgun season and saw alot of deer and several 130" plus bucks.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 PM

I know everyone is partial to their own state, but I think Kansas is very good. Many record deer have been taken in Kansas and many acres of public land and not only can you havest a buck but you can get a couple extra doe permits. In some places you can get permission to hunt on private land just because farmers want to get rid of the high deer populations. Very long archery season gives you many days of hunting. Best time woulld probably be last week in October to the 2nd week in November. Good areas are Southwest along Arkansas River, South Central along Arkansas and the many creeks, and eastern high populations in hevy wooded areas. Why not make a trip out of it in November and do a little upland bird hunting during your spare time on the many acres of public walk-in hunting.
Good luck next season.
Lyndon

Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

I am biased....but I love Ohio!!! I have seen more big bucks lately in Ohio than I have ever seen before!! There are some whoppers in Ohio!! I love living here and hunting here!!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iowa...Illinois,Kansas or Northern Missouri would all be good states to hunt Big Bucks in!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:07 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

I wouldn't choose michigan, although you would have no problem getting a license, a bunch of them to.

The reason i wouldn't choose michigan is the Mentality is " if it's brown it's down" There are very few hunters letting the little bucks grow past 1 1/2 to 2yrs. old. smallish rack etc. It pisses me off. Everyone thinks they have toput meat in the freezer. We have alot! of deer, especially does. Pretty much the michigan retards out hunting think they have to shoot the first deer that comes in front of them or they have 1-3 days to hunt. I almost like wisconsin's theory, you have to kill a doe first before you can get a buck.

Just my .02 cents.
I would definately go more in the midwest.
Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, wisconsin, etc.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

c'mon anymore replies

Quick Reply: What state to take Archery trip for Whitetail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.