Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
ok, Iowa hunters how'd you do? >

ok, Iowa hunters how'd you do?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

ok, Iowa hunters how'd you do?

Old 01-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default ok, Iowa hunters how'd you do?

The seasons are over. Did you fill your freezers? My boys shot quite a few pheasants. My #2 son got his first bow deer. I got two with my bow - a doe with a doe tag and my biggest buck here in Iowa. He was a nice 8pt, not a trophy, but sure made me happy. I bought a Bass Pro grinder and processed my own deer. We even made jerky, deer sticks and sausage. Great year! Jim

Old 02-02-2003, 08:12 PM

Default RE: ok, Iowa hunters how'd you do?

Hello 2eagles,
Sounds like you had a pretty good year. Congrats to your whole family. Myself i fell short with my bow tag seem like the big deer i was looking for would all ways come by when there would not be enough light to see. But i did get a really nice 12 pointer opening day of 1st season.The best one to date for me have him being mounted at this time. Hows the Turkey hunting around there?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:34 AM

Took my first trip out of state to Wyoming and shot a mule deer and antelope. Spent all of bow season chasing the next world record whitetail with no luck, shot two nice bucks in shotgun (nothing big but nice) and took a doe during late muzzleloader. Saw the big buck week after late muzzleloader ended so know what I will be doing next bow season.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 02-04-2003, 09:09 AM

well,im from Wis,but we own land in Iowa and drew deer tags there this year. I shot a 9 pointer, 20" inside spread. he weighed about 200 lbs field dressed. My uncle shot a pair of 10 pointers, with identical racks,about 16" inside,but real tall tines. my cousin shot a 10 pointer that had mass,and the tips curled back in,almost touching. a family friend also shot a yearling ten point that resembled the rack of a Coues deer. on our land this year another family friend arrowed a 168" typical. it was a great year. my buck will go in the 140's. hope i can return to iowa next year.

slayer

"Accurate,Deadly,Dependable"
Old 02-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only Bowhunt & passed on more does than I can count along with several small bucks-6 points & less under 20 yds.. I missed 2 P&Y Bucks so I had my chances & saw several larger Bucks.
I have plenty of meat from out of state hunts-Elk, Deer & wild hog.
It was a good year...

always thankful
Old 03-01-2003, 11:29 AM

Default RE: ok, Iowa hunters how' d you do?

2eagles, I must admit this year was very productive. I passed on several during bow season that I just was not comfortable with but like others saw plenty. Second season I did take one with my muzzleloader that I am getting mounted.
It' s not my largest but he just looks good to me. Only 9 points and then 2 little kickers off the left brow tine. This was on Dec.31st. and he was following 7 does. By the looks of his rack he had just destroyed a small tree on the other side of the hill.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:59 PM

LOL. Not a good season this year. My old GSP went lame on opening day. She did manage to get one rooster up before we called it quits (for the season as it turned out).

Took my nephew out on his first deer hunt (shotgun) and got skunked. Got too busy to get out again. [X(]

Never made it out bunny hunting before the end of Feb. [:@]

Sigh.......Well, there' s always turkey season. Always make sure I make time for THAT.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:24 AM
Fork Horn

I got about 12 pheasants and my deer.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-21-2003, 04:20 PM

welcome to iowa, ur legs get built up pretty good with all that walking. i got my first deer this fall muzzeloader, a big doe. tasted pretty good. i cant wait til turkey season is going full bore. i see them every day and they will be sure tastey. good luck. who_else