Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 future of Illinois hunting >

future of Illinois hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

future of Illinois hunting

Old 12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: future of Illinois hunting

sjs,

Our farm has funnels like crazy. 125 acres, 90 tillable, bringing in good income. We have permission to hunt the neighboring places. I cannot wait. It also has a couple on stocked ponds on it!!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 PM

I think the future is pretty dim if you don't own land. Lease prices will run average Joe out of the sport and crowded public land will be more crowded.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Spike

I don't like Outfitters at all hate them all because in the long run we will have to pay to hunt. if your like me and don't have a hole lot of cash. just to spend on a deer hunt...
Old 12-22-2007, 12:34 PM

I shotgun (deer)hunt in Pike county. My moms side of the family owns alot of acreage but leases it out for bow. I have a 5 yr old daughter and a 3 yr old son who I want to get involved in the outdoors, but don`t have the money to buy my own land, and it seems to me you`re going to have to own your own land or get really lucky and know someone who owns land.[:@]
Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

I just purchased a farm in Macoupin County. We are very excited about it. What is the hunting like in that area??

I live in Macoupin County and the hunting is typical Illinois. Tons of deer and big bucks. A buddy i work with has a Grandpa who owns 600 acres that borders Beaver Dam State Park. He gets hounded constantly by outfitters and non-residents to sell/lease his ground but he is not interested. Hopefully, it stays that way!
Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Kid,

thanks for the reply. Our property is around the Hettick area.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:55 PM

I disagree that charging someone to hunt is wrong. Like it or not, hunting has turned into an increasingly expensive "get-away" like golf, going to a baseball game, going on vacation, etc. They don't let you into Busch Stadium for free and once you pay $40 for a ticket to Busch then you have to pay another $9 for a beer and $5 more dollars for a hot dog. Likewise, a trip to Pebble Beach to golf or a weekend trip to Disney World isn't free either. I think in the future, hunting is going to be viewed as one more thing to try and work into the annual budget.

I also don't blame the landowners for charging a fee to hunt on their land. With the implementation of the new assessments on wooded land that is not in a forestry mgt plan, some landowners are paying outrageous property taxes. They should have every right to try and recover some of their expenses if the income stream is there.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

you must lease land mason county hunter..lol

im just glad my family doesnt lease. we can make our property tax(which isnt huge considering how much timber we have)money somewhere else!! we have alot of set aside that helps.i know why farmers do it. it has nothing to do withtaxes or anythign like that it is just simply easy money. they have to do nothing but supply the land and they get payed 5 grand a pop...
Old 12-28-2007, 10:28 AM

I know it sounds like it, duckdog, but we actually hunt our own land and do not lease any out. We also let a few friends hunt for no charge.

I guess I just don't understand the outrage at landwoners who do lease their land out, though. They have an asset that could be generating income for them and they are taking advantage of that opportunity.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:53 PM

my family owns farm land in Iowa. we don't lease but a lot of the neighbors are starting to. one of the reasons for it is the extra money. the second biggest reason i here from them is if they lease it out they don't have to watch it for trespassers the guys that lease it police the ground and treat the ground with a lot more respect then some Jo blow that trespasses or Evan just has permission to hunt. we have really cut back on the number of guys we let hunt because of the garbage and cut fences and other damage the unethical hunters are doing when they hunt. one thing we hunters have to remember is if your lucky enough to get permission treat the ground as if it your own. treat the owner to some of the game you take. if he doesn't want any give him a gift card to take his wife out to eat.i have been hunting a piece of ground for 6 years now that the guy wouldn't let anybody hunt. i got permission one day when all i did was pull him out of the ditch. he tried to pay me i told him no thank you. two weeks later he asked me if i still hunted deer. i said yes and he asked me if i wanted to hunt his ground. i said i sure would and i have been hunting it for 6 years now. he really likes the deer jerky i give him every year. I'm not going to say that its all about money because it is but it is also because of all the unethical scum bag hunters out their to. it is just easier to let some one else deal with thehassles that the hunting season brings to the land owner.just my two sense as an Iowa land owner.

k shamrock

Quick Reply: future of Illinois hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.