Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Michigan Hunters >

Michigan Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan Hunters

Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Michigan Hunters

Hey Robv2007,

From what I understand in Michigan if you see hogs shot them. Once they get established they are about impossible to eliminate and they can play havoc with the Whitetail fawns. From what I have read about the hogs in Michigan most are still heavy on the Russian/European boar blood so a big one is probably 350# tops. Here in Texas alot of feral hogs are crosses between domestic looking pigs and russian. My first hog I shot was over 600lbs and had to be removed from the field by a front loader. My second hog was a little over 200lbs and was heavy on the Russian side with the heavy tusks that were 4 inches long. I just ate some of his meat for dinner tonight! Very good. If pigs in Michigan get crossed with some loose domestic pigs you will see much larger hogs. Good luck on taking them out, if you see them blast them!

jake
Old 01-10-2008, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Robv2007

does anyone know all the regualtions for boar hunting, like what times of the year can you hunt them b/c i found a herd in newaygo and one guy already shot 2 and i want to go out and hunt them but dont know any regulations
As long as you have a valid hunting license (i.e. small game license) you are free to harvest them. The DNR is pretty adament about making sure they are harvested so they don't get established.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

can you hunt them any time of year with any weapon in MI with a valid hunting license
Old 01-10-2008, 09:40 PM

not sure about your state. here in Iowa if you see one you can shoot it. doesn't matter what time of year it is. the only thing they want you to do is call them so they can get a blood test from it. i heard that most of the hogs run about 160 and don't get much bigger then 225. thats what i heard if some one knows diff please let me know.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Robv2007

can you hunt them any time of year with any weapon in MI with a valid hunting license
As long as you hold a current license for the season and are hunting with a valid weapon for that season you may shoot them. For example, I could have a small game license and be hunting coyotes with my .243 during coyote season and shoot them. It is kind of a weird situation because there is no season for them so you need to technically be pursing an animal that has a season. Now I know some small game doesn't have a season and is open all year round but I'm not sure if it is possible to get by with that. If there isn't a season running that I could use to carry afield an appropriate gun I would get in contact with my local C0 and see what could be done.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

This is the link to Michigan dnr about feral swine.You must have a valid hunting license, an unused deer license would not be legit because seasons over. I suggest getting a small game license.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363-155439--,00.html
Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

I live about a 1.5 miles from a older guy that i rabbit hunt with and he shot one last year that weight 200 pounds and shot one two weeks ago the same size. Then on monday he went out hog hunting because he seen them the night before and missed one. I live in sothern Michigan. I have not seen one yet but many people i know have. ihave a friend that had to run throw his back yard a couple days ago. We need to get ride of them because they cause ALOT of crop dammage and hert the turkey population.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTINGisLIFE

I live about a 1.5 miles from a older guy that i rabbit hunt with and he shot one last year that weight 200 pounds and shot one two weeks ago the same size. Then on monday he went out hog hunting because he seen them the night before and missed one. I live in sothern Michigan. I have not seen one yet but many people i know have. ihave a friend that had to run throw his back yard a couple days ago. We need to get ride of them because they cause ALOT of crop dammage and hert the turkey population.
Right you are and this why the DNR has worked to make it easy for hunters to shoot them on sight without worry for rules and regulations (even though there are a few).

Where does this guy live?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive been hearing stories of them all over michigan, but is there anycertain countyin michigan where the population is really thick??
Old 01-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

if you go to the dnr website for hogs posted above in another post you will see where the most sightings and killings have been, mainly the east side of the state, we found a couple in newaygo and plan on going hunting for them sometime during the year

Quick Reply: Michigan Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.