Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

2nd. rut.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Default 2nd. rut.

I missed the 1st. rut due to work. Any predictions on when the 2nd. rut will hit?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2nd. rut.

Does that haven't been bread during their first estrous cycle normally come into heat again 28 days later. Some of the first year fawns will also be coming in .
Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Depends on where you are hunting north and south. I have seen lots of chasing in the first week of December in Western NY. Their rut is uaually during the first10 days of November so that works out to the 28 day cycle.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Sorry shoulda mentioned- I'm hunting Central Illinois.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

i would guess it would hit between the 4th and 9th of december. listening to observations of fellow hunters is a great way to gauge the second rut. good luck, i will be trying to bag big dog #2!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry but I just dont beleive in the second rut.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Sorry but I just dont beleive in the second rut.
2 years ago in the first week of December I saw 6 bucks chasing a hot doe all around a posted field in Steuben Cty NY. The bucks were all sparring with one another and at least one or two were constantly chasing that doe like a dog. The next morning I set up in the dark and waited for daylight when I could rattle. The first one to cross the posted line was a large doe who came right out of the swamp looking for the fight. The second deer was a nice 8 point who decided he would rather live in my freezer than to do anymore breeding. Those bucks weren't all gathered and chasing for no reason.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

There usually is some sort of second rut..........but it is very spotty and difficult to predict.........your best bet would be to try to be in a tree the whole first week of Dec. and hope you get lucky.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:40 PM

I killed one in ill. on dec. 12 last year leaving a corn field a dawn. I saw him casing a doe down the middle of the road at noon the day befor. I saw a few others chasing that week also.I have raised deer and they go in to heat every 28 days till march every year if not bred.Never give up , I'll be there on the 10 till ?

[/align]
Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

I generally love the last 2 weeks of December. Bucks on the move looking for does. Tougher hunting but can be productive.