Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Iowa Hunters

Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Iowa Hunters

Was just wondering if anyone here was from Iowa. Didn't see an Iowa thread out there. I live in Northeast Iowa and mostly bowhunt and muzzleload.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Iowa Hunters

You bet there is--funny, what you described above about yourself, ditto for me. Ready for October?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Oh ya im ready. Bow season is only 2 weeks away. Last year was the first year ive ever even shot a bow, so I didn't get a deer. But I've been able to shoot quite a bit and I've gota lot more land that I can hunt this year so im excited about that.

Haha, one thing that sux is that i didnt buy a early muzzleloader tag in time, so i guess ill just get a tag for first shotgun and muzzleload during that and maybe get another one for late muzzleloader.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

12 more days, get it right. I am more pumped for this fall than I have been in years, I have access to a property I could not hunt for the last 2 years and the deer sign is the best I have ever seen on it, does and bucks all over the place, rubs, scrapes, trails, the whole place is torn up, and that is of the second week of Sept!

My family and I hunt late muzzy every year, always get a big buck or two between the four of us. There is a lot less hunting pressure(the biggest plus to me)and the deer are generaly pretty concentrated, if you dont mind the cold sometimes.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:09 PM

nice to hear other iowans on here. sorry about missing out on the early muzz, i got mine the day it went on sale because i missed it last year.

good luck this year! i cant wait!

oh by the way are you hawk fans being from that side of the state?? go state !
Old 09-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

Ya.. Good luck to both of you guys! Checked out my new hunting spot this year and while driving back there i saw 3 deer within 5 minutes. The ground was just covered in deer prints, so I'm very excited.

Haha, I dont know about you guys, but the mosquitos are TERRIBLE! I'm just praying that a good freeze comes before bow season starts so I'll be able to survive in the treestand.

I'm not an Iowa or Iowa State fan, so the game didnt effect me too much. But a lot of my friends were depressed after the loss.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

the mosquitos are terrible here too. I have taken my younger brother out for the youth hunt a couple times and !!!! The only way to reduce the number around the stands was to hangthem extra high, over 20 feet, which before leaf drop doesnt help visibility. We have seen a few does and little bucksbut with the new regs for youth licences to carry over he isnt it a big rush to take anything

I am a hawk fan, yea ouch. No one from out of state understands that the cy-hawk games are always close, its just that much of a rivalry. I knew iowa wasnt going to blowisu out[]
Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got mine the day it went on sale because i missed it last year.
I did that once... And ONLY once. Good learning experience. But the DNR shouldnt put a quota on that season. They should put it on out of staters. Im from north central Iowa. I am currently going to ISU, went to the game SO AWESOME! Good luck everyone with the upcoming seasons.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:54 PM

South east Iowa here