Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Need help concerning an new Indiana gun law rumor... >

Need help concerning an new Indiana gun law rumor...

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Need help concerning an new Indiana gun law rumor...

Old 09-08-2007, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Need help concerning an new Indiana gun law rumor...

I had someone tell me that a C.O. told him that we won't be able to hunt deer with a handgun that shoots a rifle cartridge next year. (i/e Encore, Contender)

Any truth to that?

Old 09-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Default RE: Need help concerning an new Indiana gun law rumor...

makes no sense to me, They just approved riffles that shoot hand gun cartridge's for 2007.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

I heard that a while back but not lately
Old 09-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys,

At this point I don't believe it to be true. I talked to a local Conservation Officer on Sunday and he said he'd not heard anything about and he didn't something like that to happen next year.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM

To the best of my knowledge:

Indiana was going to outlaw single shot handguns (those such as .30/06, .35Rem, and other "long range" cartridges) but, in exchange, were going to offer the use of "cowboy cartridges" such as .44, .45/70, .30/30, pretty much anything available in a lever action rifle.

This is what I have been hearing. Heard the bill was just waiting to be signed or something or another this spring. I could very well be misinformed (don't care, doesn't affect me in the least). Just sharing what I've heard.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:06 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

To the best of my knowledge:

Indiana was going to outlaw single shot handguns (those such as .30/06, .35Rem, and other "long range" cartridges) but, in exchange, were going to offer the use of "cowboy cartridges" such as .44, .45/70, .30/30, pretty much anything available in a lever action rifle.

This is what I have been hearing. Heard the bill was just waiting to be signed or something or another this spring. I could very well be misinformed (don't care, doesn't affect me in the least). Just sharing what I've heard.
They did pass the law stating that we can now use pistol cartridges in rifles for hunting deer. But there is a case over all length requirement that rules out anything longer than a 500 S&W (i.e. 460, 30/30 etc.)
So maybe the other is coming also.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: lovethebigguns

They did pass the law stating that we can now use pistol cartridges in rifles for hunting deer. But there is a case over all length requirement that rules out anything longer than a 500 S&W (i.e. 460, 30/30 etc.)
So maybe the other is coming also.
And if you've got a permit, you can just carry your pistol on you too.

They change the laws so much, I don't know why they just don't let us go shoot things ain't like there's a shortage of deer or anything. My 12 gauge will shoot as far as some of the large caliber rifles, a la .45/70. Get a good 12 gauge bolt action rifled barrel shotgun then a couple boxes of Hornady SST sabots. Zero'd at 150 yards, comfortable shooting to 250.

Ok, maybe not as far as a rifle, but far enough! ha ha.

Did they ever bring back lifetime licenses (not that I'm trying to steal your thread... just curious).