Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 MO deer hunting >

MO deer hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

MO deer hunting

Old 08-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Spike

Default MO deer hunting

Hi guys, question for everyone. I am considering taking my son to MO to deer hunt. He is just 12 and just starting out. I am looking at different outfitters. How are your deer out there? I want to give him the chance to shoot a decent buck, don't need a monster. When I was 12 almost any buck would be a trophy to me, lol. Is there a part of the state that is known for more deer or better quality than another part? Anyone reccommend a good outfitter? I am doing my own research and looking but any suggestions, comments, advice are welcome.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 08-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: MO deer hunting

The northeastern part of the state is really good. Some of the counties which may interset you would be Macon, Adair, Schuyler, Putnam, Randolf, and Monroe. Don't knnow much about outfitters. Good luck.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 08-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spudrow is right...most of the bigger Bucks have been taken from Northern Missouri any where from St. Louis and above.There are some decent Bucks taken from all over Missouri and most of them have been taken on private hunting grounds.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Some great deer here in Northeast Mo. Check out the Rutledge area for an outfitter. Wish I could tell you his name, but I cant remember right now. Also, around the Kirksville area there is some HS Strut ground that a lot of well known hunters got to. The Drury guys hunt up here, Bill Jordan hunts out there (I met him last year as he was leaving town) and Ralph and Vickie have been there. Dont know if they do much private outfitting, but they could lead you in the right direction. There is a lot of good public hunting ground around too, but I wouldnt recommend that during rifle season.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

Any of the counties that lie near the Missouri river are pretty good, IMHO. You'll find a higher concentration of deer and some nice bucks as well.

GH

Old 08-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

muncylabman, these are all good replies to your post. I second the opinion about gun season on public property. It's like a pumkin patch on public property opening day.
Good luk to you and your son.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Three years ago, I could of gave you a list of 40 farmers that would of let you hunt with out a problem, Today I can only give you an outfitter and some public land suggestions.

http://www.jstrophyhunts.com/

They are pretty good bunch with some exceptional hunting.

Your son can hunt in the youth only season as well in MO. The public land isn't really that busy from what I've seen, and for $17 (any sex tag)you cant go wrong (that is non-resident as well). This year I believe you may also purchase a bonus doe tag for youth season $7. You also get a trukey tag with the first deer tag purchase.

If you need more details or suggestions for public land in northern Mo, send me a pm, as I tend to lose threads that I reply too.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you contact the Outfitter racksnbeards mentioned above be sure to ask them when their Bow Season starts?I noticed it stated Oct 1 til Jan. 15 except during Rifle Season...!Our Bow Season in Missouri actually starts Sept.15 2007 til Jan 15. 2008,and pauses during rifle season in Nov. and starts back up after that.

I forgot about our Youth Deer Season here in Mo., that Racksnbeards mentioned also...but it only runs for 2 days on the last weekend in October,pretty sure it is the 27th and 28th.I'll double check to make sure.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I never noticed that GTO...hmmm....

They may not of updated the site since the season change, but heck that has been what3 or4 years now (if not longer).

Old 09-03-2007, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are no deer in Mo. Iowa,Illinios and Kansas are much better.Just kidding,Macon county is by far the leader in number of deer.Larger deer come from the northeast side.Try Gunncreek out fitters.

Quick Reply: MO deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.