Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 food plots in MO >

food plots in MO

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

food plots in MO

Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 AM

Default food plots in MO

i want to plant my food plots but NO RAIN in a long time. rain is showing this weekend and i wanted to know wha i should do because of how late it is. i need something that will work so i thought some other missouri boys could tell me what they have had work well for them. thanks for replys
Old 08-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: food plots in MO

go to a local mfa feed store; they sell a mix of of clover,wheat,turnips,chicory that works very well. and don't worry, i wouldn't plant until after labor day or you will burn it up. that will put it just right about come nov.1
Old 08-15-2007, 05:19 PM

Your not too late at all, Most importantly wait for rain.. You can plant winter wheat as late as October and still have a decent stand. I usually plant sometime around the first or second week of September, and have my plots ready to till now, just waiting for water, Ill probably till my plots for the first time next week, then till them again right before rain is expected, then plant. Where are you located, and what do youo plan to plant?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

We're talking about planting turnips in the next week or so,since they are calling for rain this weekend we may do some disc-ing and get ready for planting?We have about 4 fields that can be planted any time if the rain comes in?We planted some turnips last year in the bottom fields and it did pretty good because of the morning dew,the food plots in the upper ridge field didn't do as good because it was too dry up there.I would like to plant some Buck Foraging Oats and maybe some Bio-logic with the Brasscis and some Whitetail Institute Winter Greens.

Like Angus stated the winter wheat can be planted late in the season and still keep the deer coming in all fall and winter.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Spike

Definatlly not too late. I just drilled winter wheat and austrian winter peas 2 days ago and then broadcast a mixture of turnips and rape on top. Got a rain last night and things should look pretty good in a week or two.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

I'm holding off for another 2 weeks at least. If you plant when it's as dry as it is here and you get "just" enough rain to make the seed germinate, and then go through another couple weeks of no rain, it'll just have to be replanted in all probability. We're probably gonna go with some winter wheat/ clover, another plot of clover and rape and maybe another small one of winter wheat.